Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Anyone know how i can use ITA Volare status with KLM?

• AndyS 24 posts

I’m going through the motions of booking flights with KLM but under the loyalty dropdown there is no entry for ITA or Volare. Would it work using Milemega ? Basically I want it to recognise status at time of booking for free seat selection so no good just saying “add it at the airport when checking in” for example. The lounge access I don’t need as I have priority pass (though the crown lounge may be nicer in AMS)

Jacob 223 posts

I would be interested to know that too. It’s been a while but seems like it’s still not being recognized as a proper FFP… All I know is that MilleMiglia doesn’t work. Although it shows as “accepted” you still have to pay for the seats.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,205 posts

Works fine at Crown Lounge, just show the ITA app on entry. Done it.

Jan M 58 posts

Worth flagging that you can’t yet earn KLM FB points and XP when flying ITA, so the same may be true the other way around.

dahokolomoki 103 posts

Has anyone used their new Volare status to get lounge access on Delta economy or premium economy flights?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,205 posts

ITA is now all over the SkyTeam website so ….

dahokolomoki 103 posts

True. But when I check my booking, either on Virgin’s website or Delta’s website (the flights are Delta metal, but one leg is a Virgin codeshare number…) there is no ability to add an ITA Volare FF number. There is for all the other SkyTeam airlines.

Hopefully, IT integration issues doesn’t over-ride common sense when it comes to lounge access (and also the free checked-in bag allowance).

Wiseoldman 69 posts

True. But when I check my booking, either on Virgin’s website or Delta’s website (the flights are Delta metal, but one leg is a Virgin codeshare number…) there is no ability to add an ITA Volare FF number. There is for all the other SkyTeam airlines.

Hopefully, IT integration issues doesn’t over-ride common sense when it comes to lounge access (and also the free checked-in bag allowance).

I can confirm we were able to enter KLM crown and Other Sky Team lounges by showing the ITA volare despite not being able to add it to the booking.

dahokolomoki 103 posts

Thanks Wiseoldman! Looks like operationally the lounges and staff have been trained now, even though the IT is still playing catchup…

FearlessTraveller 54 posts

One reason floating around on other travel blogs, for the lack of recognition of ITA volare status, is that Skyteam are possibly waiting for the sale of the airline to AF/KLM/DELTA to go ahead, for them to properly integrate the airline into skyteam.

However, recently news from Italy indicates that AF/KLM are taking their time and the Italian government has given then one more month extension to finalise the sale of the airline

timrogers 13 posts

It’s a real shame that you don’t get real status recognition beyond lounge access. I’m flying to Dubai this week – AF out, KL back – and it’s sad to miss out on bag and seat benefits.

ag 26 posts

I chatted to KLM on WhatsApp and got them to add my ITA number to booking which gave me a free bag and seat selection.

dahokolomoki 103 posts

Success at Terminal 3 LHR on a Delta flight with using the Skyteam Elite Plus status via Volare.

Checked-in online, had my Virgin FF on my ticket.
    At the airport counter, they wanted to charge me £50 for check-in bags (I was on a basic economy fare). However, I showed my Skyteam Elite Plus. The agent had to consult a laminated sheet about the benefits of Skyteam, but she quickly waived the charge.

No entry to the Virgin Clubhouse lounge, even though it is for Delta customers.
    However, I got access to the Club Aspire lounge (that other Skyteam airlines use). No quibbles on the Skyteam Elite Plus getting entry, although the agent did grumble that normally, they only let people in on flight to Paris or Amsterdam.

Am going to see if I can get lounge access in the US airports and report back!

ffwd 58 posts

Worked with Vietnam airlines.
    Out from Singapore the Lounge had to call them to confirm but we had checked in at Business desk.
    On way back from Hanoi it was in their system so no problems.
    (We had already paid the small amount for seats).

As an aside I was pleasantly surprised with Vietnam airlines economy (only part of our tour in economy).

dahokolomoki 103 posts

From MIA to ATL to LHR, it was a bit more hassle with the ITA Volare, to get them to recognise the Skyteam Elite Plus.

At the check-in, I had to talk to three different agents, and hold my ground, before they entered in a manual bag fee waiver. Their systems just isn’t set up to process ITA Volare. So if flying Delta in the USA, please please please just persevere, and suggest they use the bag fee waiver in the system. Such a saving on the checked baggage fee on Delta.

At the lounges at MIA and at ATL, no problems at all, they seem to be able to locate ITA Volare in their systems, to enter in the FF number.

southlondonphil 14 posts

AF/KLM are no longer pursuing a deal for ITA and Lufthansa are going to be acquiring a 40% stake so parlaying ITA status into Skyteam benefits looks likely to disappear in the near future, though presumably *A opportunities will open up as an alternative.

dahokolomoki 103 posts

That’s a pity! But these things usually take time to play out, so for now going to maximise my ITA Skyteam Elite Plus status on Skyteam flights this year. Already had £100+ of free check in baggage and some pretty sweet lounge access on my recent Delta flights to the USA.

And soon will be trying out Air France’s lounge at CDG.

alexm 44 posts

Anyone had any recent updates on Ita status with any other skyteam members?

YC 229 posts

Looking to use my ITA status to get free seat selection on a KLM flight (booked with Virgin points). Anyone know if this is possible and what the best way to do this? Just tried with KLM call agent and didn’t quite understand. Is it just a case of HUACA?

stevenhp1987 330 posts

Looking to use my ITA status to get free seat selection on a KLM flight (booked with Virgin points). Anyone know if this is possible and what the best way to do this? Just tried with KLM call agent and didn’t quite understand. Is it just a case of HUACA?

You can add ITA on KLM via MMB on Kenya Airways.

Flying next week on KLM and have already selected our seats and can see our additional luggage allowance.

Froggee 901 posts

I assume KLM has an identical platform to Air France.

Have you tried logging into your ITA account and managing your booking in there? I did this with mine and happily added my ITA number which resulted in being able to choose the premium seats towards the front free of charge, lounge access and Sky priority benefits which were most hand at CDG anyway.

YC 229 posts

Many thanks – going into ITA and managing my booking seemed to allow me to change my FF scheme. Assume that once I select my seat, even if my status drops in Jan, my seat selected is still confirmed FOC? But any other benefits like additional baggage is not?

Froggee 901 posts

I would expect your seat would stay unless there was an equipment change but this is my best guess.

As for the other benefits, like you I’d imagine they’d not stick but the IT behind this is pretty flakey so you never know!

stevenhp1987 330 posts

I assume KLM has an identical platform to Air France.

Have you tried logging into your ITA account and managing your booking in there? I did this with mine and happily added my ITA number which resulted in being able to choose the premium seats towards the front free of charge, lounge access and Sky priority benefits which were most hand at CDG anyway.

I tried adding it to the ITA app a few weeks ago and it didn’t work hence the Kenyan Airways workaround… It let me add them now.

Doesn’t offer premium seats, just the standard seats for free. My wife is Executive and I am Premium (both Sky Team Elite Plus).

Froggee 901 posts

Ah hah.

The magic, I seem to remember is now you’ve put in your ITA number on ITA, go back to Air France/KLM MMB and it should now let you select the up front seats as it now recognises you as being Sky Priority.

The cool thing about the up front seats is that they don’t release them up to normal punters unless the plane is full so you have a much better chance of an empty middle seat if you’re travelling by yourself.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.