Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other London life Anyone tried Amazon Fresh yet? Free £10 shop available to all

• Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

I finally got around to trying Amazon Fresh, the ‘no checkouts’ Amazon grocery store chain, today. It has just opened at Southside in Wandsworth where my son does basketball training.

The tech works. The bar code in the Amazon app you scan to open the turnstile is a bit hidden away (I’d have expected my phone to realise I was in the store and display it when I opened the Amazon app) but apart from that it was fine. I was with my son but that’s OK – you scan twice for two people, and items picked by either of you go on the same bill.

We had a bit of fun with it, deliberately picking up some items just to replace them, to see if the cameras spotted it (they always did – the bill was 100% accurate). The range is a bit better than your average corner shop but some holes, eg no smoked salmon.

Anyway ….. until 26th Jan you can have £10 of free shopping at Fresh at Holborn, East Sheen, Angel, Richmond, Aldgate East, Hounslow, Euston, Chingford and Wandsworth. Alcohol and baby milk excluded. No registration needed – £10 is simply knocked off your bill or, in our case spending £9.98, it is wiped entirely.

Need to get my wife’s Amazon log in details before next Saturday 🙂

dst87 264 posts

It’s a really cool system. I’m interested to try it one day, just to see how it works (and play the same sort of games you and your son did!) though on the whole I’m trying to move as much away from Amazon as possible. (Easier said than done!)

ChrisC 956 posts

No smoked salmon?

What an outrage!

tw33ty 186 posts

I used the one in white city after it had just opened, I went in just for the novelty factor and got a few things. I found a couple of pricing errors, in my favour, a couple really big pricing errors.

I done the decent thing and told Amazon, expecting a thank you, but got a call from an irate call handler insisting I got and was charged the correct amount and I wasn’t over charged and wasn’t due anything back, I repeatedly tried in vain to say no, you’ve undercharged me, but she was having none of it, so I gave up.

Naturally, after the call, I changed my tube commute for an 5 minute longer route and I went in each day and bought only those items priced wrong.

Suffice to say I have enough toiletries for a few years… also I am now sickened by a pricey cheesecake brand and have gone off haloumi cheese

Zana 28 posts

No smoked salmon?

What an outrage!

There IS smoked salmon at the Euston branch! Got myself 3 100g packs plus a nice cinnamon roll, all for under free £10 offer!

aseftel 267 posts

NB it the £10 is available once per customer per store so you can actually get £90.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

Is it?! Might have to go home via Holborn one day this week to test it.

Dr Tom 19 posts

Yes I use the White City one quite often. I haven’t seen the pricing errors but they do have some excellent offers (as well as some very overpriced fresh goods).

It does feel like you’re stealing alcohol if you use that section of the store.

The only mistake I can remember is having Pepsi Max Cherry charged as Pepsi Max Raspberry (but they were the same price).

The £10 deal isn’t for that store but I’ll check out some of the others. It might even be worth setting up further Amazon Prime accounts for a month for people who have multiple credit cards (and can visit a few stores).

athruna 3 posts

I used the one in Holborn before Christmas when the £10 deal was still on there. I did spot one mistake. The machines had mid-identified a chocolate croissant for a maple and pecan plait – an error 13p in my favour!

Getting quite good value out of Amazon Prime lately – just got a year of Deliveroo Plus for free.

RTS 124 posts

Yes… £10 free until 26th Jan… I have like 8 amazon accounts.. 🙂 3 used so far…

NorthernLass 7,576 posts

I’ve just had £10 off a £60 spend at Morrisons, via Amazon Prime with free delivery tomorrow. A lot of the products were more expensive so it wouldn’t do for a weekly shop. They have 400g of smoked salmon for £8 though!

aseftel 267 posts

Not sure if it’s targeted, I have £5 off my next shop (no min spend) by 28/02. Unfortunately it’s once per customer, not one per store this time.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

Thanks. Gives me something to do whilst my son has his basketball class in Wandsworth on Saturday!

I’ve got 10% Amazon Fresh cashback on my MBNA card too.

aseftel 267 posts

Definitely not targeted, there were loads of flyers in the store.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.