Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Anyone using Curve with the Hilton credit card or other Barclays products?

• Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

I’m trying to get a few data points about how Curve and Barclays work together.

In particular:

* Curve and HMRC
    * Curve and NSI
    * Using Curve in an ATM for your monthly allowance of cash withdrawals

Obviously there aren’t many HfP readers with a Barclaycard so I’m struggling to find much. Thanks.

RobL 72 posts

I dont think you can link Barclaycard to Curve

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

HH Barclaycard works fine (so far!) for ATM withdrawals, never been charged for withdrawing the £200 pm. It’s a very cooperative card (so far, lol), so I imagine it would work for HMRC with fronted on, but not tried it. Not tried it with NSI and no way would I do now! 😂

Gareth 28 posts

Used to work fine for nsi but stopped when IHG went belly up

sloth 315 posts

It works fine with curve and nsi but no longer use it due to the creation issues. You can also use it for cash withdrawals via curve but I only ever did small amounts very occasionally

I’m assuming you are asking in preparation for a new Barclays/ avios credit card?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Peter K 550 posts

Works with c@sh machine. Not tried with NS&I. Not tried with HMRC recently.

Abdul 69 posts

It was fine in all those cases, however Curve wanted years worth of credit card, bank account and NS&I statements that I didn’t want to provide so they closed my Curve account.

Froggee 888 posts

It would be so funny if Rob lost as all our valued Hilton cards on top of us losing our IHG ones!

Dare I ask, why would you want data points on this?

kt74 42 posts

I’ve had a regular personal Barclaycard for *years* – it’s a legacy cashback Morgan Stanley card with grandfathered attractive rates (much like the MBNA one that other people have). For a long time it was the *only* card I used to fund Curve. No issues at all with using it for HMRC and ATMs and day-to-day spending. Never used it for NS&I or any cash recycling, sorry!

I have a Business Barclaycard taken out more recently. Lots of *other* problems with the card (low credit limit, poor customer service and poor functionality more generally), but no issues at all using it with Curve for HMRC and ATMs

*Edited to add: no cash advance fees for using ATMs – just treated like a normal purchase

Carlos 758 posts

It would be so funny if Rob lost as all our valued Hilton cards on top of us losing our IHG ones!

Dare I ask, why would you want data points on this?

+1 same as above

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

You may wish it had been lost.

Harrier25 849 posts

What does that cryptic message mean, Rob?

Froggee 888 posts

It’s Rob’s way of telling us to hit the cards hard before they are shut down anyway.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

No it’s not.

_aDifferentSimon_ 85 posts

maybe it is that there is a new barclaycard coming with a partner Barclays has an existing relationship with??
    (and you can only hold one barclaycard card?)

sloth 315 posts

maybe it is that there is a new barclaycard coming with a partner Barclays has an existing relationship with??
    (and you can only hold one barclaycard card?)

it is possible to hold more than 1 barclaycard although they dont really like and I feel you may be correct

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

That’s not funny! What don’t we know?

Or is there a new HH card coming which we now won’t be eligible for as we still have the Barclaycard?

On another note, Che still parties with me at no extra cost …

Harrier25 849 posts

Or is there a new HH card coming which we now won’t be eligible for as we still have the Barclaycard?

If Hilton do partner with a new UK card provider I can’t see it being anyone else other than Amex.

Carlos 758 posts

Surely if thats the case, you can be eligible after 6 months of being a non-member?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

6 months is the rule with Barclays, yes.

Carlos 758 posts

6 months is the rule with Barclays, yes.

Look forward to seeing new Barclaycard products!

sloth 315 posts

is the third section of this article new/relevant?

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/money-matters/rewards/what-are-air-miles

Making the most of a credit card that allows you to collect points

rum 275 posts

That’s a very interesting observation, sloth. Well spotted!!

Olly 242 posts

I’d guess that’s from a different part of the business. No credit card run part would be advising this:

“Of course, while you’re busy using your card and collecting points, you should always make sure you clear the balance each month – that way, you’ll avoid paying any interest on your purchases, so collecting all those lovely air miles could still be worth your while.”

John 1,000 posts

Happily using curve with Hilton here, stopped Ernie when curve started to be funny about it (not directly related to creation). Only do cash withdrawals abroad in a kind of pretence that the purpose is not to generate points. Hadn’t used Hilton directly for 3 years until Barclays launched their Cashback site.

Prefer to keep a Hilton card for now, can’t think of any realistic benefits that would make me choose to cancel Hilton in order to get an avios Barclaycard.

(Unrealistic benefits that would make me give up the Hilton card could be permanent BA silver with no annual fee or 20000 extra avios for spending £10000 per year, I could accept an annual fee for status that is refunded in the form of BA credit or similar.)

If Hilton replaces breakfast in Europe with food credit that doesn’t cover breakfast, I will change my view and reduce loyalty to Hilton.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.