Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Avios and Tier Points other than with OneWorld

• Mbaldrick 38 posts

Hi,
    I am trying to book return flight to Charleston, SC. I almost always fly with BA/AA but the dates i need to travel prices are just insane in my opinion. However, flying with United Airlines i can pay less than half the price for the same dates i need. I am already trying to reduce cost by looking at flights from Dublin instead of LHR. In short, I would appreacite any help in how i can fly non OneWorld and get tier points with BA. I think if i fly with United and link my Aer Club account in can then transfer the miles to Avios. Is that correct? Is there any other way? I tried looking at Quantas but i couldn’t figure out how i could get to CHS with them. Even more importantly for me is how can I get BA Tier Points using other airlines. Many thanks for any help.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    NorthernLass 7,544 posts

Are you saying you would be booking this via Aer Lingus? Just be careful if so as I think Aer Lingus isn’t fully part of One World and this affects what you get in terms of avios/TPs.

Have you looked at BA/AA flights to other airports (e.g. NYC) and connecting from there?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Mbaldrick 38 posts

Hi, yes i have looked at various airports to connect to CHS. There are no longer any direct flights from LHR to CHS. I am led to believe i can book wiht Delta inputting my Aer Club membership number to get the airmiles then i transfer then via Avois to BA but i may have that wrong. I was hoping someone much smarter than I would be able to lead me in the right direction. It is really the tier points i need badly. I am silver at present and would like to retain or even get to gold. I know it is a long shot but maybe just maybe someone has a way round the issue 🙂 thank you

stevenhp1987 330 posts

You only earn Tier Points on OneWorld flights or OneWorld marketed flights (e.g. a BA code share on Aer Lingus).

You can earn Avios (not Tier Points) on United flights by crediting Aer Lingus.

If you’re not flying OneWorld (or OneWorld codeshare), you are not going to be earning Tier Points I’m afraid.

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

London to NYC/PHL/IAD would give you 280 TPs with BA or AA, and a few more if you connected on AA. Would this still give a much higher fare? Delta isn’t a One World partner so I doubt there would be any way of getting TPs from flying with them.

Matt 322 posts

There’s no way of getting Tier Points on Delta or United. You only earn Tier Points on Oneworld marketed and operated flights or on BA marketed flights. Non-oneworld flights with a oneworld codeshare (eg AA flight number, JetBlue plane) don’t earn unless it’s a BA flight number.

PGW 94 posts

Hi,
    However, flying with United Airlines i can pay less than half the price for the same dates i need.

I’d find a fare differential of that side hard to dismiss. You don’t mention the actual amounts but what you save could be put towards a further tier point yielding trip.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Mbaldrick 38 posts

Thank you everyone for your input. It was as i suspsected but just thought i should ask. If you don’t ask you don’t get as the saying goes. All helpful advice so thanks. PWG – i agree – i think i am just going to have to go with United unfortunately and see how I can transfer air miles from Aer Club to BA. I can’t afford the huge price difference just for the tier points. Thanks again 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.