Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Avios Plus Card to Avios Card to Avios Plus Card again

• dingdingdong 1 post

Hi everyone,

I took out the Avios Plus card in summer 2023 and hit the £10k spending target quite quickly, receiving the voucher. I then downgraded my card in the Barclays app to the free Avios card. I will be hitting the £20k target imminently and it looks like Barclays will issue another voucher.

Can I upgrade to the Avios Plus card again once I am done? I don’t currently see the option to do so in the app but I don’t know if the option will appear once I hit the £20k target

Have people had experience doing this before? Would I need to cancel the free Avios card and re-apply for the Avios Plus card if I don’t see the option to upgrade in the app?

Thank you for any insights.

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

You might get the offer to re-upgrade but it’s not guaranteed. It appeared in my app about a year after I downgraded (though I don’t want to upgrade so it wasn’t an issue). There will probably be other examples of people’s experiences with this on the dedicated Barclays threads.

AndrewT 74 posts

I did a similar 10K on the Plus card, downgraded last April then 20K on the free card. To date have not been offered the option of going back to the Plus, so at least a year may well be a typical timescale to anticipate (if you get the option to switch back at all).

BBbetter 642 posts

Are you sure it’s worth it? Apart from a pile up of vouchers, you need to spend £3k a month just to break even.

Reney 769 posts

I did a similar 10K on the Plus card, downgraded last April then 20K on the free card. To date have not been offered the option of going back to the Plus, so at least a year may well be a typical timescale to anticipate (if you get the option to switch back at all).

I can’t remember my exact dates but my experience is similar to @AndrewT.

My player 3 got the premium card before me and downgraded before I did and I can see the upgrade option is back so maybe the year mark is possible. I don’t have plan to upgrade her again unless I need a voucher super quickly / want more vouchers and can’t meet the 20k spend limit.

I had 3 voucher, recently just used one so can’t see a reason to pay for it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.