Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Avios required for off-peak London to South America (SCL – Santiago)

• ajrbrown76 7 posts

Apologies in advance if i’m missing something obvious / making a rookie error but….

I’m looking to use avios for flights to SOuth America in July/August (probably Santiago, but may well open-jaw out of either Buenos Aires or Rio). WHen i look at the redemption charts on HfP or on Reward Flight Finder / SeatSPy it suggests off-peak fares should be 22,750 o/w (and peak 35,000), but on BA it returns 40,000 Off peak (45,000 peak).

Are these amounts on BA correct and the other sites wrong or is this a glitch?

Many thanks

nectar collector 281 posts

That sounds like the ‘max Avios minimum cash’ option……you should be able to see a ‘ more pricing options’ link that offers other combinations, including one much closer to what you were expecting in Avios terms with a higher cash amount?

ajrbrown76 7 posts

Thank you, i knew i missed something obvious! Will go and and stand in the corner with my dunce’s hat on!

B_itchingtotravel 23 posts

I’m just looking & BA seems to be (off peak)

FIRST – 119,000
    CLUB – 100,00

This is wild! I’m doing dummy bookings on BA and can’t see any other avios amount. (I’ll be using a CV)
    I swear they used to be 87,500 for Club? (Also what @HfP states https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/06/03/how-many-avios-do-i-need-to-fly-to/ )

Both Santiago and Buenos Aires in the same avios bucket now, too?

Just booked a one-way SCL = £1011 + 119,000 avios! (On a CV), so they must’ve changed the Avios pricing

AFKAE 144 posts

Just booked a one-way SCL = £1011 + 119,000 avios! (On a CV), so they must’ve changed the Avios pricing

As a reference point I booked LHR-SCL and EZE-LHR in April last year on a CV for 192,500 and £1597.12 (club world). Travel in March ’23

Last week managed to upgrade LHR-SCL to 1st for 36,500 and £78.

marks7389 425 posts

The change is the move to RFS pricing in December, although that doesn’t apply to First. It sounds like you’re using an old style 2for1 voucher (issued before September 2021) which limits you to the base pricing, and for CW now requires a lot more Avios and less cash.

Pricing sounds about right for one-way in F with a companion voucher. That’s unaffected by the RFS changes, although taxes and fees have risen sharply in the past couple of years.

ekposh 188 posts

Can you fly out of Madrid? Much better value usually

Can you fly out of Madrid? Much better value usually

I really wanted FIRST, which is not offered on MAD. The friends I am going with are doing the MAD option for about 75% less than what I’m doing!

As a reference point I booked LHR-SCL and EZE-LHR in April last year on a CV for 192,500 and £1597.12 (club world). Travel in March ’23

Thanks this is really helpful, thank you. I’m booking the inbound EZE-LHR as soon as seats are released, online, then calling for a refund of half.

Enjoy the trip next month! Do post any tips, esp if you’re planning to see Iguazu Falls!

AFKAE 144 posts

Thanks this is really helpful, thank you. I’m booking the inbound EZE-LHR as soon as seats are released, online, then calling for a refund of half.

Enjoy the trip next month! Do post any tips, esp if you’re planning to see Iguazu Falls!

Will do. Yes, Iguazu is on the itinerary.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.