Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Avios stolen? Advice please

• Wally1976 188 posts

Hi all, I received an email on Monday evening which was confirmation of my recent Avios transfer to Nectar. The only thing was that I hadn’t asked to transfer any points (I am a keen convertor in the other direction).

The email said if I hadn’t initiated the transfer to clink a link and fill in an online form. I did this immediately and also changed the passwords on both my BAEC and Nectar accounts.

So here I am 2 days later, I’ve heard nothing back, my BAEC account is £25k Avios down and no points have arrived in my Nectar account.

Suggestions on next steps welcomed.

TIA

yorkieflyer 259 posts

It would take 12 days for the points to arrive in in your Nectar account, not instant in that direction. Have you made any changes to the nectar/Avios link? The default on auto transfer is nectar to Avios as I found out too my cost a while a while ago

ChrisBCN 237 posts

The email said if I hadn’t initiated the transfer to clink a link and fill in an online form. I did this immediately

Oh no!
    What details did you give them in the form? This could have been phishing – it’s good practice NEVER to click a link in an unsolicited email, but go separately to the website concerned instead.

Ps, please click here to confirm your bank details so we can help you further.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,075 posts

Have you checked what email address that came from?

Not just what is displayed by the address behind it?

Personally I’d be on the phone to exec club now.

Wally1976 188 posts

Thanks for the help folks. The email was genuine, it contained my name and BAEC number and came from a ba.com email address.

I had turned on auto conversion and it looks like I somehow set it on Avios to Nectar rather than the opposite as intended.

I don’t know why it converted the amount it did but it looks like this was my fault so I guess I’ll just have to transfer the points back and suck up the loss.

Thanks again.

focusonskill 18 posts

The OP has check the BAEC account and confirmed the Avios is deducted. Therefore the email is likely genuine.

zapato1060 637 posts

I had turned on auto conversion and it looks like I somehow set it on Avios to Nectar rather than the opposite as intended.

Yes nearly did the same blunder, I caught this right at the last second.

yorkieflyer 259 posts

Yes nearly did the same blunder, I caught this right at the last second.

Annoyingly the default is set as Avios to Nectar and it’s not overly clear

duggie1982 263 posts

I have fell for this mistake when the devaluation happened, was gutted i fell for it!

Ian m 17 posts

Thanks for the help folks. The email was genuine, it contained my name and BAEC number and came from a ba.com email address.

I don’t know why it converted the amount it did but it looks like this was my fault so I guess I’ll just have to transfer the points back and suck up the loss.

Thanks again.

Hi.just as a matter of interest why do you transfer all your avios to nectar? What am I missing?

I look at the 400k avios I have and see a potential of 3 longhaul business class flights for 2 people (with comp voucher)worth in excess of £15k. Or £2k cash if converted to avios.

duggie1982 263 posts

Thanks again.

Hi.just as a matter of interest why do you transfer all your avios to nectar? What am I missing?

I look at the 400k avios I have and see a potential of 3 longhaul business class flights for 2 people (with comp voucher)worth in excess of £15k. Or £2k cash if converted to avios.

Can you expand on converted to avios £2k?

amy356 1 post

Hi. The same thing happened to me. I linked my nectar points to Avios, not realising the default settings would transfer over 20,000 of my Avios into Nectar points. I never wanted or asked for this. Nectar only transfer back at a ratio of 400 to 250. (but they take them on a like for like basis.) I transferred my nectar points back to Avios and now I’m 4000 Avios down. Nectar are useless and unhelpful.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,075 posts

I’m confused.

iIRC there isn’t an auto transfer between Avios and Nectar. A transfer out of avios is a manual process initiated by the account holder.

It’s possible to set up auto convert from nectar to avios but that isn’t the default setting.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.