Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club BA fares – the world has gone mad

• masaccio 719 posts

Was just looking at CW to India next year and BA want 2.5-3k. I suppose this means Avios redemptions are a good return but that cash price is well over what it should be so not really a meaningful saving. In all likelihood I would probably pass on that much spent with BA and either choose WTP or switch to something nicer like Qatar, though they are pricey at the moment.

A travel agent friend suggested it’s demand driven by a glut of FTVs and agent-held credit. Anyone know whether there is merit in that thought or is this the new normal for a while? Certainly from personal experience, most of my travel this year is FTVs or, in one case, credit held by a travel agent.

JDB 4,334 posts

With the shortage of aircraft highlighted in an article today and staff shortages keeping other aircraft out of service flights are going to be busy/expensive. Also not just a BA thing. This has been factored into analyst airline forecasts for a while and where people’s assessment of Nectar vs Avios goes wrong.

PGW 94 posts

Whatever the reasons, travel prices as a whole are higher in real terms than I can recall. I’m not averse to paying high prices if I see some value but even very ordinary options are at levels where I’m reluctant to buy at the moment.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    PGW 94 posts

posted in error (duplicate)

Aston100 1,382 posts

Not just BA.
    QR prices seem very high, even outside the World Cup period.

Super Secret Stuff 364 posts

Definitely not just BA. Just authorized two colleagues to go to Australia for a week, £6.5k each return in business! Used to be 3 to 4 k ish!

Richie 976 posts

How much are Vistara asking?

Lady London 2,020 posts

JDB is right it’s supply and demand.
    I wouldn’t expect any relief for this at least for bookings made in summer period.
    Winter will be interesting as to whether airlines decide to fly less and charge more.

NorthernLass 7,457 posts

Indeed – check out LCC prices for a trip to Malaga over May half term, even without hold baggage they’re charging up to £600 pp!

masaccio 719 posts

How much are Vistara asking?

They’re not flying LHR as far as I can tell. Or at least not LHR-DEL which is what I was considering outbound and BOM-LHR back.

This has all through 2023 holiday planning in a bit of a spin. I really can’t wait for retirement when I can be rid of all this school holiday 🤬🤬🤬 that makes this even harder

points_worrier 294 posts

YEs, this is not just a BA thing. From southern Africa to the UK, flights could normally nearly always be had for <£500. Now they are £800 min.

memesweeper 1,243 posts

Capacity is not back to anywhere near normal, at least not to my eyes, at LHR. Look at the hotel pricing near Heathrow, I’ve never seen it so cheap outside of lockdowns. All the hotels are open and demand is low. I think the reason demand is low is there are far fewer flights. The runways are visibly quieter. If demand is approaching normal again then I’m guessing there is an undersupply of seats. Thus much higher prices.

Similarly, Stansted seems quieter in the skies than pre-pandemic, although local hotel prices aren’t at the low pricing levels of Heathrow.

I assume this is the pattern repeated across airports and airlines worldwide.

NorthernLass 7,457 posts

I wish airport hotels at MAN were cheap! Some of the most expensive prices in Manchester atm. There are some nights I’ve looked at where the Doubletree at the airport to be charging more than the Hilton Deansgate.

ChrisC 956 posts

Demand isn’t low because of fewer flights it’s low because travel for business is still very depressed and leisure travel (absent a few exceptions) is still pretty soft.

For me there are two issues (other than some high pricing which I’m hoping is a precusor for a sale) that are stopping me from booking flights with BA after September 30th and thats (a) the end of BWC and (b) the lack of ex LGW European flights for the winter season to AMS and BER.

I’ve seen a tempting DUB-JFK for £ 1,180 for next January but the hotels I want to stay in are ridiculous pricing so it’s not just flight prices to take into account.

marks7389 425 posts

Beyond supply and demand, fuel price issues are of course likely to be a factor as well.

JDB is absolutely right and it’s why the fee hikes of late don’t equate to an Avios devaluation, at least in the short to medium term.

What it will mean of course is that many people will find the cost of travel is stretched beyond their means, right as they want to travel again post-pandemic.

Michael C 667 posts

LHR-MCO return for April ’23 currently around GBP2300-2500…in premium economy!

Froggee 886 posts

LHR-MCO return for April ’23 currently around GBP2300-2500…in premium economy!

Give it a few weeks. They always charge top dollar at T-355

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.