Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• JeffB 10 posts

I am uncertain how the current bonus process is applied in the circumstances where travel crosses my membership year. My trip commences in December & I return on 9th January. Under the normal rules I see my tier points allocated individually to the outbound & return flight, and as such the return to the start of my new membership year.
    I am aware that the additonal bonus tier points are allocated some 30 days after completion of the holiday but cannot find any details of whether they are split as normal, or if the bonus points go into the same year the final flight is completed
    ,, in essence, will I receive 140 extra points in year membership year ending January 2021, and 140 into my 2022 year ,,, or the 280 into the latter?
    Apologies for a rambling, & my first forum question,,,, the answer will make quite a difference to my retained status 😀
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff

tiriavpo 312 posts

I am sure that when my double holiday TPs eventually posted, they were each dated as per the original flights. Cunningly, after the BA update, those transactions do not appear anywhere in my statement history so I cant be sure.

Guessing from your post that the critical year is this current one. ending 8 Jan 22?

Historically, BA have been happy to give 2 weeks grace such that TPs accrued early in your new year can be applied to the previous year, to help gain or retain status. This was not possible the other way – ie you could not carry TPs forward.

JeffB 10 posts

Thanks for replying ,, yes, it is for my current year ending Jan 8th 2022. Having the 2021 outbound flight credited with the points will finally get me silver … I am only a leisure traveller now so not as easy as when I worked for a living ,,, but hopefully with the travel plans for the next 2 years may even reach gold in 2023

Flyer2022 2 posts

Hi what are the best deals anyone has found between now and the end of March with example that Rob gave? Which involved getting a domestic flight to London before a 5 night holiday including hotel as opposed to car hire.
    Am interested in the destinations that get you 480 status points and Hence Silver status in one trip as long as you take your other minimum of 2 flights of course too before your tier year is up.

Hope that all makes sense.

Many Thanks in advance

Tom

cabal of rabid baboons 108 posts

Our choice was Manchester to Malta via Heathrow in Club Europe with a car for around £890 for two people,
    480 tier points plus 10832 Avios.

Colski 4 posts

I am finding it is taking more than the month stated. Have raised the ticket with them, but still no sign of our tier points (which would push us into silver).
    Have some other flights I need to book, but likely won’t with BA unless they can give the points as promised

tiriavpo 312 posts

Hi what are the best deals anyone has found between now and the end of March with example that Rob gave?

They are out there – you just need to search around. Googleflights is a good starting place. If you do a somewhere – to london – to destination, (and return) that will count as your 4 flights.

Depends where is convenient to get to, to start the trip – Aberdeen to Istanbul in March: https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s/G5aL

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    FFoxSake 217 posts

Firstly, as you’re going to be away for 5 night (minimum) choose somewhere you actually want to go.

Starting in Glasgow made sense for me.
    – Cheap Easyjet positioning flight from LGW (my closest airport). You can also still do LGW-GLA on BA if that works better as a separate booking.
    – Choice of overnight hotels at GLA all within a few minutes walk of terminal prior to GLA-LHR first leg (HIX is totally fine).

For me Athens was a good destination.
    Very walkable city, lots to see and do. Some great central hotels (recommend Athens Center Square as a budget option on BA Holidays with inclusive breakfast).

h24821807 55 posts

Hi JeffB,

The points are awarded back to the date that the flight was taken. In my case, my collection year ends on the 8th Nov, and I had a holiday just the week before that. So, the extra points were backdated, and I have managed to get my silver (MAN – LHR – ATH) even though the points were awarded after the end of the collection year.

cup_of_darkoness 11 posts

My double tier points were not backdated. They were posted 8 weeks and 3.5 weeks after the flights and they were not backdated so might be an issue if your year ends before they post the points!

JeffB 10 posts

UPDATE

Today I received confirmation that my bonus tier points had been added, & applied to the December flight & January flight individually
    The addition to my Dec flight moves me to Silver plus the bonus for 9th Jan flight gives me a decent start to the ’22 collection year
    Happy traveller

J

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.