Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club BA to cancel 1,000 flights

• Mouse 169 posts

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jul/05/ba-cancels-flights-summer-heathrow-gatwick-holiday-malaga-palma-faro

Even after reading the article I can’t quite tell to what extent this is old news vs new news. Anyone have any insight?

JDB 4,333 posts

It’s a mixture. BA is still in the process of making cancellations ahead of Friday’s temporary slot alleviation deadline.

ChrisC 956 posts

It sounds a lot but in the totality of BA flights it’s a small proportion of a months activity

1000 flights over a month = 33 a day = 17 return trips a day

With some judiscious selection it can be easily done by extracting flighs from the schedule on routes with multiple flights a day.

KevinC 76 posts

I got a cancellation email yesterday evening about a flight from Heathrow just over two weeks away.

We were able to switch on the app to one of the Iberia Express flights from Gatwick earlier on the same day, still in Club.

I assume that’s it (until they cancel the return) and I don’t need to ring anyone, nor are we eligible for compensation or a free retro flight bag.

ChrisC 956 posts

If you rebooked yourself via the app then no need to contact BA

No compo – or any other freebies – as more than 14 days notice given.

SteveJ 977 posts

Have they listed the flights anywhere?

Charles Martel 124 posts

It sounds a lot but in the totality of BA flights it’s a small proportion of a months activity

1000 flights over a month = 33 a day = 17 return trips a day

With some judiscious selection it can be easily done by extracting flighs from the schedule on routes with multiple flights a day.

Looked at the other way 33 flights a day x 168 seats (A320) = 5,544 people annoyed.

ChrisC 956 posts

Only if those flights are full though – and they aren’t on many routes

And the vast majority would be put on other flights the same day

KevinC 76 posts

Thought as much. Thanks.

JDB 4,333 posts

The passenger is still entitled to ‘right to care’ (eg hotel, food etc.) even if the cancellation is made over 14 days in advance and the rerouting/rebooking means you are delayed for many hours or overnight.

ChrisC 956 posts

@KevinC stated that rebooked flight is earlier on the same day.

If he was having other issues I’m sure he would have mentioned them.

meta 1,426 posts

Only if those flights are full though – and they aren’t on many routes

And the vast majority would be put on other flights the same day

Every flight I have taken since May to various European destinations has been full to the brim, even for slightly off-beat destinations.

Indy500 150 posts

Hi folks
    Assume that these cancellations do not affect long haul? Due to leave for Nashville early August.
    T

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

We are running an updated cancellations list tomorrow. The bulk of the additional cuts are domestics.

SteveJ 977 posts

https://news.sky.com/story/british-airways-to-cut-a-further-10-300-flights-until-end-of-october-12647016

Make that 10,300 flights!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    supergraeme 128 posts

The BBC say that the cancellations affect LHR, LGW and LCY – but I was under the impression that City was coping quite well? We’d planned for this and our upcoming flights are all City, annoyingly.

jj 516 posts

I had a flight from Venice this weekend cancelled last Thursday. I guess that’s related to this news, as BA would otherwise have given more than 14 days notice to avoid compensation.

No trouble moving to a new flight on the same day. Although we’ll have an irritatingly late drive home, the compensation will sweeten the pill, and, on this occasion, I can’t blame BA for LHR’s failures. Given the airport staff shortages, this had to be done: our flight out saw some spectacular queues in the First wing as LHR had opened only one security lane in the morning peak.

First world problems.

JDB 4,333 posts

I had a flight from Venice this weekend cancelled last Thursday. I guess that’s related to this news, as BA would otherwise have given more than 14 days notice to avoid compensation.

No trouble moving to a new flight on the same day. Although we’ll have an irritatingly late drive home, the compensation will sweeten the pill, and, on this occasion, I can’t blame BA for LHR’s failures. Given the airport staff shortages, this had to be done: our flight out saw some spectacular queues in the First wing as LHR had opened only one security lane in the morning peak.

First world problems.

These latest cancellations relate to BA issues, not LHR ones…

berneslai 13 posts

The BBC say that the cancellations affect LHR, LGW and LCY – but I was under the impression that City was coping quite well? We’d planned for this and our upcoming flights are all City, annoyingly.

“BA revealed the latest cuts less than 24 hours before unions representing 700 of its check-in and ground-handling staff at the airport – almost half its customer-facing team there – were due to reveal strike dates in a dispute over pay.”

So strike dates revealed tomorrow then. I was hoping I’d dodged a bullet but I’m flying on the first weekend they can strike on.

Indy500 150 posts

Hmmmm, my wife has an Edinburgh trip early August from Southampton. Outbound has disappeared on BA.com, inbound still there. Doesn’t look good….

Richie 976 posts

Hmmmm, my wife has an Edinburgh trip early August from Southampton. Outbound has disappeared on BA.com, inbound still there. Doesn’t look good….

BA2900 SOU-EDI on Sundays in August is still bookable on BA.com, was this her flight number?

Indy500 150 posts

BA2900 SOU-EDI on Sundays in August is still bookable on BA.com, was this her flight number?

BA4102 is the flight number. They appear to be selling tickets but the outbound flight has disappeared from her BA account. Odd…

Richie 976 posts

BA4102 is a codeshare flight number for Loganair operated flights, if you have a Loganair booking reference perhaps check on the Loganair website.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.