Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• ekposh 190 posts

Hi

Looking to use my 241 to get to Bali so in my mind this means KUL or SIN.

Availability aside (which seems OK for either as im flexible) which do you think is the better product?

Seems it’s an A380 or A350 in J? With it being next year, I suppose half a chance the A380 is a refurb CS? Appreciate the equipment is never guaranteed so can change but curious as things are.

Unless there are other ideas of how to get to DPS using 241 (obvs QR would be ideal but hey – I’m ex MAN too so want to avoid LGW).

Thx

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Surely if using QR (without the 241), you could do MAN-DOH-DPS? Or use the 241 MAN-LHR-DOH on BA then connect on QR.

marks7389 425 posts

Yes, it’s certainly worth considering QR. It will be more Avios compared to using a 241 on BA, but as @NorthernLass points out if you can get redemption seats via DOH there’s no need to pay for a connecting flight to DPS on top (which would have to be a separate booking, with the responsibility on you to make the connection). It is also then only a one rather than two stop itinerary, and Discover Qatar offers very cheap stopover deals if you want to spend the night).

When we flew back from Phuket last year it just didn’t make sense to fly via SIN and BA (vs flying with QR), even though we could have used a 2for1. The cost (and hassle) of getting to SIN and connecting would have outweighed the benefit, although given the way RFS works that may be more true of an inbound to the UK than an outbound.

You’ll also get a much better business class experience on QR.

That is unless you want to spend some time in SIN or KUL (I highly recommend KUL for a few days). You can of course do one way via SIN/KUL and the other via DOH.

I wouldn’t bother with MAN-LHR-DOH – DPS if you can do the whole thing on QR. Due to the way QR prices multiple flight segment redemptions it’s unlikely to save anything even with a 2for1 on the BA sectors.

BBbetter 641 posts

Is it A350 on KUL route? Thought they’d go with an old 787.

marks7389 425 posts

Is it A350 on KUL route? Thought they’d go with an old 787.

I’m sure it is a 787, at least initially.

marks7389 425 posts

Was also going to add virtually no chance of CS on an A380 if you’re looking around a year ahead. Those are planned to be last for refurbishment, in 2026 if we’re lucky….

If you choose to fly with BA to SIN or KUL I’d assume it will be the old CW seat and treat it as a bonus if you get CS.

ekposh 190 posts

Thanks. Sorry you’re right, 787 or A380.

I’d love to do QR but sadly I’m struggling with Avios at the moment so use of a 241 is rather critical unless the difference is minimal. A 241 seems to come in at approx 210k Avios for 2 of us (100+110).. I think QR would be closer to 300 (without a 241)?

But I’ll certainly do the maths and reconsider that.

We are likely to return from KUL as may spend a few days there so that slightly outweighs the extra connecting spend. But I’d still consider MAN-DOH-DPS // KUL-DOH-MAN on QR.

marks7389 425 posts

300 return for two sounds about right on QR in business class, at least for the airports in SE Asia that we were looking at (SIN/KUL/HKT) – DPS is a bit further though so it may be a bit more.

You could split the difference, flying one way with BA and the other with QR though as suggested above that probably works out cheaper overall if doing the outbound with BA. That’s because RFS cash charges are normally the same in both directions, but the QR taxes and fees will be higher from the UK due to APD.

Ultimately though if you only have enough Avios for the BA redemption and limited time to make up any difference without paying full price to purchase Avios, it may well be that booking the BA redemptions as they become available is the best answer for you for this trip.

ekposh 190 posts

Thanks all.

Part of me wants to actually try something different. Funnily enough, worked out it’s actually similar Avios to do MAN-HEL-SIN (but far far lower charges) on outbound and use 241 on BA return, rather than MAN-LHR-SIN return on BA.

Trying to work out how QR fits in. Possibly ex DUB to DPS is an option.

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Is there a big difference in surcharges between DUB and MAN on QR? It would have to be significant for me to forego the convenience.

MAN-DOH is also quite doable in economy, especially if you can get exit row or bulkhead seats, being less than 7 hours.

ekposh 190 posts

Is there a big difference in surcharges between DUB and MAN on QR? It would have to be significant for me to forego the convenience.

MAN-DOH is also quite doable in economy, especially if you can get exit row or bulkhead seats, being less than 7 hours.

About £150pp less, so to your point, not worth it actually.

Wiseoldman 69 posts

We just did this trip in March;

Outbound; Ams to DPS via Doha on QR J 160,000 avios for two plus £500ish (no Q suite till doha but Q suite from Doha to DPS)

Return we did Etihad J cash from Jakarta. We took Air asia to Jakarta which was straight forward and easy

We looked at SQ via virgin with was £225,000 points plus £600 or so charges but extra cost of flight to Singapore put us off.

HampshireHog 117 posts

Locos cheap from KUL or SIN and it’s not far would be the way I’d go and have done this

marks7389 425 posts

One other consideration…. Upgrading using Avios with QR may also be an option worth investigating to bring down the Avios requirement. From what I recall it was reasonable value, but one downside is you don’t get lounge access. Note that the Avios required depends on the economy fare class booked, as will the cancellation terms.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Privilege-Club/upgrade-with-avios.html

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.