Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express BA Premium Plus downgrading – is Amex still allowing it?

• Alex V 28 posts

I opened BAPP back in November and have just triggered the 42k avios bonus. Tried calling Amex to downgrade it to a free BA card, but was told there is no option to do it in their system.
    Have anyone else encountered this? Is there any other option to close the card earlier and get refund of the annual fee?

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    SteveJ 976 posts

Just close the account if you don’t want it? You’ll get a pro rata refund.

Whisper2 44 posts

My OH downgraded her BAPP on the Amex chat to a free blue BA card. Originally asked to cancel but chat operator told her she would lose her 241 unless she just downgraded.

e14 257 posts

My OH downgraded her BAPP on the Amex chat to a free blue BA card. Originally asked to cancel but chat operator told her she would lose her 241 unless she just downgraded.

Well we all know that’s a little white lie from Amex

JohnTh 58 posts

Just had the reverse saying no option to downgrade on chat – try phoning!

Blindman67 136 posts

I opened Chat to close the BAPP and they said I could downgrade.

I was passed over to another dept (whilst on chat) and they did the downgrade.

Got the pro rata fee back in about 48hrs.

danB 2 posts

I have had exactly the same this morning. Just triggered my companion voucher and called to downgrade to the Blue card and was advised that this option is not available to me. Will try the chat option

LIGHT1 2 posts

Currently got a BAPP and got a few questions, trying to see if I can save on the annual membership fees on the way to £10,000.
    If I downgrade to the free card, can I upgrade to BAPP again just before I hit the £10,000 target for the companion voucher?
    Would upgrading be the a straightforward request or would any further checks be required?

Travel Strong 254 posts

I don’t understand downgrading, unless you have no opportunity at all to refer one another within your household/family/friendship group. Cancel it. And sign up again with a referral.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.