Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Barclaycard Hilton Honors card – worth keeping?

• Eggtastico 43 posts

Its not a card I really use, should I give it up & wait to trigger the avios bonus?
    I have sainsbury & virgin A for non amex spend.

Just wondering if there is any advantage in keeping it since I only have 10,000 points & rarely do my shopping habits pull me away from Amex spend.

NorthernLass 7,576 posts

There have been a couple of threads about this over the past week, where you can see different views from various posters!

Harrier25 852 posts

Barclaycard Hilton Honors – worth keeping? For me – most certainly Yes. For you – how would I or anyone else know?

Carlos 758 posts

Its not a card I really use, should I give it up & wait to trigger the avios bonus?
    I have sainsbury & virgin A for non amex spend.

Just wondering if there is any advantage in keeping it since I only have 10,000 points & rarely do my shopping habits pull me away from Amex spend.

Well you have already missed out a potential 100k (even more) by holding onto it (and not even using it)

Eggtastico 43 posts

For you – how would I or anyone else know?

Because I dont use it. So would I be better off giving it up to start the clock for a future different Barclaycard, or is there some hidden benefit I have forgotten about

Harrier25 852 posts

2x Hilton Honors points for every £1 spent (3 points per £1 at Hilton properties worldwide) and Gold Tier for spending £10,000 per calendar year.

alig4th 322 posts

Is the “9 Uber rides, get 10th free” still a thing?

Harrier25 852 posts

Not that I’m aware of, but couldn’t say for sure

Scott 240 posts

It’s a Visa, which is quite hard to come by now most companies go with Mastercard. Recently came in handy for me when a foreign transaction wouldn’t go through with the latter, in a country with high Visa acceptance.

meta 1,439 posts

There are still some shops in some countries abroad that don’t accept Mastercard at all. Here I’m thinking mostly West Africa.

Barclaycard would need to offer a minimum of 300k Avios sign up bonus or some serious perks like BAEC status for me to even think about giving up my Hilton card.

For me personally 100k Avios is nothing really. I don’t need more Avios and I can easily earn that anyway within 6 months.

Harrier25 852 posts

No hassle with Hilton Barclaycard card either…you spend, accumulate points and they are automatically transferred to your Hilton Honors account on a monthly basis. You then enjoy free breakfast when you stay with the occasional free upgrade thanks to your ongoing Gold tier status for spending £10,000 throughout the year.

Jon 268 posts

Except some months when they’re not automatically transferred… 😉

meta 1,439 posts

Yes, but it’s not like they are not awarded in the end plus when that happens if you complain, you’ll get compensation meaning they are actually paying you for keeping the card.

Jon 268 posts

Yes, but it’s not like they are not awarded in the end plus when that happens if you complain, you’ll get compensation meaning they are actually paying you for keeping the card.

True, although in my experience, finding someone who can actually deal with that rather than send you back to Hilton, can be rather time-consuming. And after my recent experiences of trying to deal with Barclaycard on the phone, I think I’ve lost the will to follow it up. But I now have three months of points no-shows over the last year, so I suppose I ought to…

Harrier25 852 posts

Call the number on the back of the credit card. This puts you through to the Hilton Honors department for Barclaycard. When I called them last month regarding my November points not posting at the start of December, they awarded me an additional 3,000 points as an apology. Within 5 days the November points had posted anyway.

Jon 268 posts

That’s the number I used last time and I just ended up in an interminable mess of endless voice menus. Twice 😉 Although that time it wasn’t about points specifically so maybe that’s an easier route to reach an actual person…

WillPS 194 posts

I’m amazed the card is still going. I presume there’s some contract which Barclaycard are seeing out.

0 post

If you do not use the card frequently and you would prefer to wait to trigger the Avios bonus, it may be a good idea to give it up. However, it is important to consider any annual fees associated with the card and weigh them against the potential benefits of the bonus. Additionally, you may also want to consider if there are any other benefits to the card that align with your spending habits, such as rewards or perks. Ultimately, the decision to keep or give up the card should be based on your individual financial situation and needs.

Harrier25 852 posts

I’m amazed the card is still going. I presume there’s some contract which Barclaycard are seeing out.

Let’s hope it’s a really long contract with many years remaining!

Tracy 315 posts

I still have mine and will keep until they discontinue for all the same reasons as @Harrier25

RussellH 154 posts

True, although in my experience, finding someone who can actually deal with that rather than send you back to Hilton, can be rather time-consuming. And after my recent experiences of trying to deal with Barclaycard on the phone, I think I’ve lost the will to follow it up. But I now have three months of points no-shows over the last year, so I suppose I ought to…

Write them a formal complaint letter. Send it Royal Mail signed for, so that they know that you know it has been delivered.
    Ask for at least £50 compensation for their having messed you about, plus a refund of the postage.

This works – twice in 2022.

Alex G 435 posts

Doesn’t the Hilton card give you Silver status with no spend?

If so, you get a fifth night free when paying with points.

It can be worth buying points to take advantage of this.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.