Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Basic advice appreciated [on a refund due to health issues]

• Mikeact 231 posts

Good Morning all. Firstly, I apologize for what I am sure is pretty mundane to all Virgin regulars. Secondly, I know nothing really about the Virgin program.
    I have just received a distraught call from my elderly sister in law who’s husband has been taken into hospital for urgent heart surgery.
    This has put paid to their visit to Florida in two weeks time.
    They purchased 2 x Regular Economy tickets and had enough points to upgrade to Premium Economy…total cost around £2000+.
    Calling Virgin she was told..’No refunds, unless your husband dies’..hopefully it wasn’t said quite like that…the alternative, a voucher valid until the end of 2023.
    She is going to call her travel insurance company, but doesn’t know how that works….do they liase and confirm with Virgin after giving them his doctor’s details etc ?
    She wanted to know if she could change the names or other viable options…ideally just get her money back.
    Your assistance/advice would be welcome. Thanks.

NorthernLass 7,577 posts

Sorry to hear this, @Mikeact. A more specific thread title might get some more helpful answers if you can change it.
    I think in terms of changing names, Virgin’s Ts and Cs will apply here, there’s usually a fee for this which can be quite hefty. I’m assuming the no refund/voucher option is also their Ts and Cs.
    Your sister should call her insurance company and they will talk her through their claims procedure, policies differ as to what portion of the travel expenses will be covered. It sounds as though Virgin’s Ts and Cs are general so you might not need any liaison between them.
    Might be worth checking the Ts and Cs – your in-laws will still be bound by them in terms of refunds but there’s always a chance they haven’t been given 100% correct information (if Virgin are anything like BA!)
    I hope they get it sorted out and that the husband’s surgery is successful.

SamG 1,644 posts

Assuming there is valid travel insurance in place (any history of heart issues declared and insured) then this should be a simple claim. Cancel the flights with Virgin, get any taxes/fees refunded and they’ll pay you the rest. They’ll tell you what they need in terms of proof/info from Virgin.

The points I’m not familiar with Virgin- if it were BA they could downgrade the ticket and refund those before cancelling the cash element. Maybe Virgin can do that or they can be paid out as part of the insurance claim

I hope the surgery goes well and he’s able to travel again in the future (though unfortunately USA is a v expensive option in terms of getting coverage post a heart condition!)

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Mikeact 231 posts

Thanks to both of you…useful. I agree, title is pretty poor..should have taken a bit more time !
    I’d like to talk to Virgin myself although very doubtful they’ll talk with me without her say so. They live a couple of hundred miles away from us, but we’re on standby to drop everything if needs be. Not easy,trying to help an 82 year old in time of need.
    Worst case, I guess we could buy the tickets off her and get the names changed.

SamG 1,644 posts

Virgin almost certainly don’t allow name changes so that likely won’t be an option unfortunately

ChrisC 956 posts

Check the VS voucher policy – it does allow name changes as long as travel hasn’t started

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/us/en/your-journey-with-us/no-change-fees-policy.html

It might be better to take a voucher now and deal with anything else at a later date.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.