Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• BenM 42 posts

Hi!
    I may be able to go Business to SYD from London with work
    I need to get my tier points as high as possible. What would you recommend as the best airline to fly. It can’t be much more expensive than any other but, for example I’ve heard Malaysia is a really good airline for food compared to BA. I guess Qatar is best for QSuite but I think that might be much more expensive than ‘normal’ club with BA?
    I don’t want to be travelling for many more hours than the most direct and would like to keep to one stop.
    Any thoughts would be really appreciated!

Jacob 223 posts

Why don’t you check your options re dates and prices and then see what options you have? QR might be more expensive than BA, but also might not be. All depends on fares and dates.

VickyTM 111 posts

I just flew out with emirates and it was lovely – (booked via Qantas) and flew back with Qantas which was nice, but not quite as nice…

BenM 42 posts

Yeah but I really want to get Silver with BA. Will check nearer the time I guess, but just wanted to know the best one world business airline

Jacob 223 posts

I’d choose Qatar if I had the option. I always had great experience…

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

SQ the best.

Jacob 223 posts

SQ the best.

That’s not going to help him with the Silver status…

BenM 42 posts

I’d choose Qatar if I had the option. I always had great experience…

When you flew Qatar did you go Qsuites?
    I think it may be a different price point to normal business? Also the lowest price business rate doesn’t include lounge access anymore…

Andrew J 769 posts

Qatar always – blows all the competition out the water. Emirates are very underwhelming in business class, First is ok with them though. QSuite isn’t priced higher as such, it just depends on the aircraft and route – I think Doha to Sydney is A380, so not QSuite, but I actually prefer it.

Jacob 223 posts

Agree with Andrew. You won’t find much of a price difference. However, even non-QSuite flights are perfect, both the hard product and the service. I was on QSuites so many times it doesn’t excite me anymore and I don’t mind whether it’s QSuite or not – love them all 😀 … Not sure what fare your company will book you into, depends on the fares/dates but usually there isn’t a huge price difference between Lite and Classic.

masaccio 722 posts

If you only want one stop then surely you won’t get your tier points “as high as possible”? As others have said, the answer to best airline is Qatar in OneWorld, but that’s not going to get you more tier points. You also need to ensure you have the minimum number of flights on BA as well as getting the right number of tier points.

Quick Google Flights search says biz to SYD is best part of 10 grand. No chance I’d get away with that for work! Premium Economy for us.

BenM 42 posts

You are right I don’t think 10 grand is going to be allowed either!
    Do you mean maximum number of flights?
    What would be the best route to Sydney in PE for max tier points please?

roger 232 posts

Remember no PE on QR

masaccio 722 posts

How about flying through Perth and Qantas PER-SYD. 70 tier points just for that in Flexible Economy. Makes for 2 stops but LHR-DXB-PER-SYD would not add much time and would break up the route more to stretch your legs. I’ve not checked timing on that route mind.

masaccio 722 posts

You are right I don’t think 10 grand is going to be allowed either!
    Do you mean maximum number of flights?
    What would be the best route to Sydney in PE for max tier points please?

Silver requires 4 ‘eligible’ flights in addition to tier points. Those are flights operated and marketed as BA flights.

The Savage Squirrel 570 posts

For Qatar purposes: will your employer allow a hop to Europe for start position? That might go a long way to bringing it within their budget….

Lady London 2,051 posts

Is CX not flying to Oz anymore? Most lounges that are going to reopen in Hong Kong, have now reopened. Much more civilised than Doha.

BenM 42 posts

Is CX the best PE then?

BenM 42 posts

Hi
    Thought I would resurrect this. I read a similar thread that PE or WTP is hardly worth extending for the amount of tier points involved, so make it the most comfortable/speedy
    What would everyone say is the best PE one world product – I’m currently Silver (although it looks like I won’t be next year due to club prices) so I’m hoping I can use the lounges wherever I stopover.

Cheers!

Lady London 2,051 posts

Not every airline offers PY. But of those that do, most offer a PE service that is closer to Y than J. Anecdotally CX is one of about 3 in the world offering a PE which is closer to J- than Y+.

That’s taking the bed in J out of consideration as part of the comparison as you will never get a flat bed or anything more tnan a deep(er) recline in PY. But other than that, service aspects, plus possibly snaller cabin/more space/maybe a leg support extension on your chair, are what would bring it closer to J.

I am not aware of any other airiine in Oneworld offering a decent PE. If any did it would be JL but I don’t think they offer PY.

The thing with CX is Hong Kong being brought more under Mainland China control. The current manifestation of this is this year and maybe into next you could get some sudden new rules from time to time on Covid that affect your journey. Howver on a business trip I’d risk it.

Otherwise @Savage Squirrel’s suggestion of an ex-EU on QR probably wouldn’t cost unacceptably more in J than CX PE.

BenM 42 posts

Ok thanks. So basically if I can go ex eu and get Qatar business do that, otherwise go CX PE

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.