Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Best IHG hotel for three nights in Sydney in late August

• Colin MacKinnon 283 posts

Title says it all.

Looking at an IHG points redemption. Only been in Sydney once – for 10 hours between flights. So will be doing touristy things. Aware it is winter.

Thanks in advance.

NorthernLass 7,576 posts

We hadn’t discovered HFP when we visited for 3 days in 2009 so had a family room in the equivalent of a Premier Inn. But it would probably have been more pleasant in winter – it was the end of November when we were there and varied between stifling heat and apocalyptic thunder storms!

JDB 4,374 posts

I can’t help on the specific hotel not being on the chain treadmill, but there are a few IHG options around Circular Quay/Rocks and if you are only there for a few days it is really worth being in that area, close to so many attractions and a multi mode transport hub to everywhere – they bought the Oyster system that works for ferries/trains/buses etc. I was there in August 2019 and the weather was fantastic – quite cold at night, but blue skies and low 20s in the day so ideal for sightseeing or hiking around the harbour. If you are up for it, the bridge climb is fantastic albeit quite expensive.

NorthernLass 7,576 posts

That’s reminded me, there was a monorail which I assume is still there which was a convenient and fun way of getting around. My son was 4 at the time so as well as viewing the opera house and bridge etc we went to Manly beach, zoo and aquarium (which were pretty good IIRC).

John 1,000 posts

Well the monorail stations are still there but it hasn’t run for a decade or so. There’s a new (not so new now) tram line through the CBD though

Colin MacKinnon 283 posts

Hi JDB,

Not normally a chain sort either – but needs must when the wood pellets for heating our house have gone up from £210 a tonne to £585 a tonne, and we go through at least a tonne a month on average from October until May.

And then my mum’s care home just increased fees by £7,000 a year – even though she worked full-time as a GP for 39 years, the difference between the care home fees and her NHS pension, plus state pension and some sort of other cash for being disabled is now £25,000 a year.

It seems a nice home, and she is comfortable and well looked after. But she was a GP in a working class area of Glasgow and many of the residents are former patients, so it has no champagne bar or anything fancy like that.

So burn the points, hoard the cash!

Mainly thinking about the two Intercontinentals – one seems a ferry ride away from Circular Key.

Or perhaps the Indigo.

We are both IHG Galactic Superstars.

Gagravarr 62 posts

With the reward night prices being linked to cash prices, knowing your exact dates would help, as which central-ish hotel is cheapest seems to be all over the place!

Any of the city centre hotels are in a good spot for most tourist stuff – InterContinental Sydney, Crowne Plaza Sydney Darling Harbour, Kimpton Margot Sydney, Holiday Inn Darling Harbour.

If you’re going to be getting the train to places like the Blue Mountains, or don’t mind a walk, the Holiday Inn Sydney – Potts Point and InterContinental Sydney Double Bay are worth considering, if they’re noticeably cheaper.

Holiday Inn & Suites Sydney Bondi Junction needs a bus/train into the centre, and isn’t even that convenient for the beach, so I’d skip unless very cheap. Crowne Plaza Sydney Coogee Beach is a bit of a trek from the centre (long-ish bus, or bus+train), but is in a lovely spot for beach / restaurants etc

Burwood and Macquarie Park are too far out for touristy stuff on a quick trip. The airport hotels aren’t too bad location wise – pretty quick train into the sights, but there’s a small extra charge on the train for the station at Mascot IIRC. Both can be walked from the domestic terminal, or free internal-terminal shuttle bus + walk from international.

qc 206 posts

Depending on how long you’re going to be in Sydney splitting your stay would be good. The IC at Circular Quay is lovely (I haven’t stayed since the refurb) – the club lounge which was on the top appears to have moved. It is however going to be the most expensive in points and I think the IC Double Bay is equally expensive and although there’s a direct ferry in to Circular Quay it’s not so convenient for the city but is for the Eastern Suburbs – Bondi etc.

The Holiday inn at Points Point is a short distance from the city and fine if you’re out and about – the also treat elites well (or did) – we had a great view of the harbour.

I haven’t stayed at any of the others.

JDB 4,374 posts

@ColinMacKinnon sorry to hear of your travails. Helping elderly parents is very difficult and I really admire your devotion to your mother; the cost of doing the right thing as you are is shocking, but it must be hugely reassuring to know she is comfortable and well looked after. My Dad, 95, is totally resistant to any meaningful help/care which concerns us, but he is fully compos so we have to let him muddle through.

Back on topic, sounds like IC Circular Quay is the one points permitting, particularly if refurbed. Hotels in Australia seem incredible value at the moment vs US or Europe. I’m staying at some dodgy Accor hotel nearby in May, but as I shall be on my own, it will be OK.

LD27 171 posts

I’m in Australia at the moment. Was in Sydney about 6 weeks ago. Changed plans at short notice, partly because luggage got lost en route from Frankfurt – but that’s another story!

Most hotels were booked in Sydney as T20 cricket was on. Only hotel I could get was HI Potts Point. Although out of date decor, I got upgraded to room with wonderful view of harbour, free breakfast and points. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Lift from platforms to ground level at King’s Cross station and hotel is next door to it. So very convenient. King’s Cross is 2 stops from Bondi Junction where you catch bus to Coogee or Bondi. Couple of stops from Circular Quay. Opal card for transport very easy using app for top up. Used card for 2 hour train journey to Katoomba in Blue Mountains, which was well worth a visit and very cheap.

Over my 6 weeks here and week in NZ, have used a number of IHG hotels. Prices have been all over the place and I have spent a lot of time cancelling and rebooking. Weekends have often been very expensive and often little availability.

Have read a number of negative reports on other travel forum for IC Sydney, so worth doing further research.

If you’re interested in Opera, a tour and performance at Opera House well worth it. Botanic Gardens also worth a visit. Plus all the other tourist attractions.

John 1,000 posts

Don’t need an opal card unless you qualify for a discount, as you can use contactless directly.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.