Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Best miles to get us to Japan!

• drawn_that_way 17 posts

I’m wondering if anyone has any advice on the best use of miles to get my husband and I to Japan, ideally in buisness class (even if only one way!) fairly last minute.

We’re looking to travel in late Spring (end of May – early June) to Tokyo. Based in Scotland so flexible in terms of flying from LHR or somewhere in Europe such as Brussels, Paris, etc.

Had hoped to use ANA via Virgin but obviously there’s no availability.are there any other worthwhile partner airline offers I should be looking into?

We currently have 100k Amex points, 220k Virgin Miles and 110k Etihad miles.

Thanks!

meta 1,426 posts

It’s going to be difficult to fly the two of you one-way to Japan in business with those amounts. You’ll most definitely won’t be able to fly direct. You can forget about Virgin miles as they don’t fly to Japan and no/low availability on ANA. You could look into flying indirect with Air France or KLM with Virgin miles and topping up with Amex MR points if needed or purchasing miles.

Etihad miles won’t get you there so forget about then

BJ 657 posts

Agree with meta, difficult challenge. However, if you’re up for the scenic adventurous route then this might do it with what you have… 1. Virgin miles to India with VS, AF or KLM. 2. JAL from India to Japan (convert amex MR to Bonvoy to Alaska MP; you’ll need to top up a bit). If you had the time and interest two open jaws would make for a fab travel adventure.

I cannot remember details but in back of my mind there was a Korean Air flight direct from Seoul to Prague or someplace in Eastern Europe. Are Korean Air not an EG partner? If so, and that flight still operates there could be possibilities there. I certainly recall there was a sweetspot there of some sort.

meta 1,426 posts

Czech Airlines was Etihad (EY) partner. It used to cost 26k miles per one-way Prague to Seoul in J when they codeshared with Korean Air, but that option is no longer available.

I still think best bet is Air France/KLM for simplicity.

BJ 657 posts

Thanks @meta, I knew there was something, a pity it’s gone. Agree on AF/KLM. Perhaps Virgin miles one direction, amex MR to FB the other (I think there is/was a sake on FB miles with 100% bonus. OP could do worse than PY on AF if efforts on business fail.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.