Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Best ways to redeem Virgin Atlantic Flying Club points / Virgin Points

• bartas8891 37 posts

The purpose of this thread is to share the best ways to redeem (flight only) Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Points. Please be specific on your redemptions (cabin, miles required, taxes paid, number of seats available, online/phone booking, etc.)
    Thank you

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    TimM 52 posts

I would be interested in this too. A sample of MAN-Barbados flights reveals economy is a waste of points – sometimes the taxes and fees exceed the cash fare. ‘Hoping for some hints and tips to maximise value from my newly acquired Virgin FC points.

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    190 posts

Redeeming on ANA, especially now that they have the pretty astonishing new business and first class seats, is typically a sweet spot. Although the struggle is finding the availability.

yorkieflyer 259 posts

Redeeming on ANA, especially now that they have the pretty astonishing new business and first class seats, is typically a sweet spot. Although the struggle is finding the availability.

Typically only one seat per flight

TimM 52 posts

Also, I would have thought the ‘sweet spot’ of redeeming Virgin points would involve using a 2-4-1/upgrade voucher which I understand is only valid on Virgin Atlantic metal.

Michael Scott 20 posts

Typically only one seat per flight

It’s 2 business class seats per flight generally. I’ve just managed to nab 2 one way tickets from TYO to LHR in November with the new business class seats for 47500 per ticket plus just £100ish of taxes/charges. Bargain!
    It is tricky finding availability though and I still need to get a one way going from here to TYO. Here’s to hoping Japan will actually even be open to tourists in 2022

TimM 52 posts

This is a purely personal value equation for use that appears to work well for me for VIrgin redemptions.

I go on the occasional cruise and the best value and most rewarding cruises are so-called ‘repositioning’, i.e moving the ship from one cruising area to another usually at the start and end of ‘the season’ in any geographic region. I have cruised from Singapore to Rome, Palma to Panama, Venice to Rio and a few other less exciting but very enjoyable significant voyages. They are always sold ‘cruise-only’, i.e. no flights and having to arrange a one-way long-haul flight is enough to put-off the usual cruise punters. Hence onboard you get a determined crowd of savvy, travel-wise, good company.

So, to the flights. After a repo cruise from Europe to the Virgin ‘India’ region, a one-way flight back to the UK in Upper Class is 37.5k points (+ taxes etc.). Assuming a 2-4-1 voucher and no status (i.e. 2-4-1.5) that is 56.25k points for two people – quite reachable with a collection of bonus points and a £10k spend on the VA credit card in a year.

The flights and cruises may not exist yet, but this is one of my ‘sweet spots’ for a redemption.

SteveR 44 posts

We have 200k + of points Want to go to New York UC. Not bothered if from Man or LHR. Would it be more beneficial to book an Economy ticket & upgrade with miles or just use all the points.

I don’t seem to find anywhere that shows the different costings

Ash 621 posts

Hi TimM thanks for the tip. Never taken a cruise, looking forward to trying one out. How do you source “repositioning” tickets? Searching on each cruise companies websites? How do you spot the repositioning legs? sorry newbie to cruise world.

Carlos 758 posts

Best way to convert Virgin Atlantic Flying Points to another airline/hotel brand?

TimM 52 posts

Hi TimM thanks for the tip. Never taken a cruise, looking forward to trying one out. How do you source “repositioning” tickets? Searching on each cruise companies websites? How do you spot the repositioning legs? sorry newbie to cruise world.

Hi Ash, good question. The repo cruises used to appear in ordinary searches on cruise agent’s websites but no longer. Unfortunately you may be better telephoning a big agent, like cruise.co.uk, and asking them to put you on their list. There is the US-based site that tracks the major US cruise line repos (requires minimal registration) currently showing around a hundred cruises between £29 and £40 per night:

https://www.repositioningcruise.com/ticker.cfm?r=41&sort=pdm

If you are UK based however, then I am afraid it is as you suggested and going into each cruise line’s website and seeking them out. They are usually not advertised. You need to search by duration (over 14 nights) first.

Good luck.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

If you’re near Manchester, the seats in the box at the AO Arena in Manchester are decent value. Perhaps the only sweet spot in the whole Virgin Red app, which you need to download (or use their website) to book this.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.