Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Barclays Blue Rewards changing – will Avios Rewards devalue too?

• johnny_c-l 4 posts

I’ve been emailed by Blue Rewards to say they’re reducing the cash rewards each month, but more offers will come too.

Has anyone got any insight if this will bring Avios earning opportunities to the non-Premier accounts now?

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Rhys
    HfP Staff
    189 posts

Yes, I got this too. Bit crap to be honest – increasing monthly fee to £5 and reducing potential cashback from direct debits to £5 (total) per month, so basically net even unless you have another Barclays product that gets you rewards like a mortgage.

Youllnever 182 posts

Barclays mortgage bonus is going down from £5 per month to £3 as well.

Dubious 33 posts

Changes effective from April 2022.

Glad I amortised my mortgage so that my monthly payments are less than £2…means I should still be up by £1 a month…although I do need to shift my direct debits around otherwise I’ll only be up by 50p…

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    rum 275 posts

Any idea if this will affect the Avios rewards account? Given that the title mentions ‘Avios’, thought it was worth posing the question.

sloth 315 posts

Any idea if this will affect the Avios rewards account? Given that the title mentions ‘Avios’, thought it was worth posing the question.

Not atm but would have thought either the earning rate will worsen or the monthly fee will increase next year. Either way I think I will take my upgrade voucher in March and then shut then account as I don’t see that much value anymore and will hope I can reopen 6/12 months later for a bonus (didn’t get one this time as already had the account)

rum 275 posts

Not atm but would have thought either the earning rate will worsen or the monthly fee will increase next year. Either way I think I will take my upgrade voucher in March and then shut then account as I don’t see that much value anymore and will hope I can reopen 6/12 months later for a bonus (didn’t get one this time as already had the account)

That’s what I’ve been planning to do come March 2022. At £12/month it is a bit steep for what you get in return. Any change in fee or earning rate would kill the whole product. And it’s not like getting another current account is difficult these days. Monzo, Starling and now Chase are quite convenient to open and use as a separate account from your main one.

dougzz99 626 posts

That’s what I’ve been planning to do come March 2022. At £12/month it is a bit steep for what you get in return. Any change in fee or earning rate would kill the whole product. And it’s not like getting another current account is difficult these days. Monzo, Starling and now Chase are quite convenient to open and use as a separate account from your main one.

Not sure this is fair. £144 for 18K Avios and an upgrade voucher feels like a lot of value to me.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

I think you’ll end up holding 🙂

rum 275 posts

I suppose only time will tell 🙂

buchanan101 95 posts

£12/month is effectively zero cost – 1500 Avios are worth £12 of Nectar points. And paying 0.8p for each on is cheaper than buying them with cash

Flyer123 24 posts

Is Switching from Barclays Blue Rewards to Avios Rewards possible online or on the app ? Understand no sign-up bonus but monthly 1500 avios plus voucher still seems good value.

sloth 315 posts

Is Switching from Barclays Blue Rewards to Avios Rewards possible online or on the app ? Understand no sign-up bonus but monthly 1500 avios plus voucher still seems good value.

can do in the app, yes

SimonX 8 posts

Not sure how to reply to a specific comment but.

1) You have to cancel Blue rewardsbefore activating (jining Avios)
    2) The Barlcays account offers one of the best annual multi-trip travel policies there is:
    All aspects of covid covered
    Changes in FCDO advise so cover if FCO changes advise to “all but essential travel” (very very fespolicies do this.
    Flat rate cost – even with my diabetes absolutely NO fee increase at all – my last policy charged me an additional £200 a year.

They also paid out no questions asked when I had to curtail my recent trip to SA when the country went “red” and met my quarantinehotel costs

George K 288 posts

I would think that increasing the fee and/or reducing the reward would be a bit too soon to do after the product launched barely a year ago.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.