Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club The ‘How to book the return leg with 2-4-1 companion voucher’ thread

• hayley1983 15 posts

Tried calling USA centre before 1am just now. Got cut off at 1am and started calling at 12.45. Yesterday we got through in a few mins! (Test run) So, our next shot is calling uk call centre when it’s opens this morning. Is it 7 or 7.30?
    Never know stress like it! Hahahahhaa.

Funkstain 15 posts

That sucks, sorry Hayley. UK centre opens at 8am. If you want to try before then, I just called the Australian EC number (‭+61 1300 767 177‬), pressed 1, and got put through to an Indian call centre where they seemed very up to speed with this frankly ridiculous process. She even counted the seconds until 1am and asked me to be quiet whilst she secured the tickets!

Managed to get the MEX-LHR 4xCW I was looking for, added to my outbound LGW-SJO with 2 companion vouchers, pleased with that. A heartfelt thank you to all who have contributed to this thread, couldn’t have done it without all the information and advice

hayley1983 15 posts

That sucks, sorry Hayley. UK centre opens at 8am. If you want to try before then, I just called the Australian EC number (‭+61 1300 767 177‬), pressed 1, and got put through to an Indian call centre where they seemed very up to speed with this frankly ridiculous process. She even counted the seconds until 1am and asked me to be quiet whilst she secured the tickets!

Managed to get the MEX-LHR 4xCW I was looking for, added to my outbound LGW-SJO with 2 companion vouchers, pleased with that. A heartfelt thank you to all who have contributed to this thread, couldn’t have done it without all the information and advice

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! We just called and have booked the tickets!!!! Phew. I can relax now and try and go back to sleep.

You’re right. It’s a ridiculous process and causes a lot of anxiety. But, all done now.

Thanks again Funkstain.

NorthernLass 7,478 posts

Great result, Hayley, now you can catch up on some sleep and start planning the holiday!

MarkM 22 posts

You can’t amend a booking made like this, you either have to book the inbound at the full rate and request 50% of the avios back or call BA – though there are reports (possibly in this thread) of BA quoting people very high surcharges to book by phone.

Just wanted to update to this that I did book the return flights online at 100% of the Avios.
    For a multitude of reasons I didn’t get around to calling the executive club number until yesterday (11 days after booking) and it was no issue to get the Avios refunded.
    Thank you!

dradrian 10 posts

Tried to book inbound from HND last night.
    Systems were down when I called in at 12.35. Tried to call again at 12.45 and didn’t get through before lines were cut off at 1.

Guess I’m staying another night in Tokyo!
    Going to try again tonight

AFKAE 144 posts

Just as a data point, my amended booking to add the return leg which I phoned 1am Saturday morning just got ticketed this afternoon.

Reney 755 posts

Just as a data point, my amended booking to add the return leg which I phoned 1am Saturday morning just got ticketed this afternoon.

I booked at the same time, still waiting.

eshaq786 20 posts

I have 2 x 241 vouchers on mine and Mrs account. I am after some tickets to Dubai in economy so not the most sought after destination……I think!

There are 5 of us I need to book. Do I just book the outbound as they are released online using one of the 241 and use the other 241 when the inbound is released? I assume that maximises the vouchers in this scenario for this particular destination and class. And I guess no need to call any call centres?

FatherOfFour 276 posts

I have 2 x 241 vouchers on mine and Mrs account. I am after some tickets to Dubai in economy so not the most sought after destination……I think!

There are 5 of us I need to book. Do I just book the outbound as they are released online using one of the 241 and use the other 241 when the inbound is released? I assume that maximises the vouchers in this scenario for this particular destination and class. And I guess no need to call any call centres?

No, I don’t think that one voucher will allow 4 of you to book one-way. You would be able to use 2 vouchers for the first 4 passengers and add a fifth passenger for “full price”, but you will still need to either: call when the return is released to add the first 4 passengers to the first two vouchers OR make a new Avios booking at full price for all five passengers, then contact BA to refund the appropriate amount of Avios from that booking. (2 fifths)

eshaq786 20 posts

No, I don’t think that one voucher will allow 4 of you to book one-way. You would be able to use 2 vouchers for the first 4 passengers and add a fifth passenger for “full price”, but you will still need to either: call when the return is released to add the first 4 passengers to the first two vouchers OR make a new Avios booking at full price for all five passengers, then contact BA to refund the appropriate amount of Avios from that booking. (2 fifths)

I assumed that I would only be able to use it for 2 passengers anyway so would pay the other 3 at full price. Is that not the case? What you said seems to suggest I would be able to get the discount on all 4 passengers.

Dubai is typically 50k return per person.

Full price for 5 is 250k.

I assumed I’d get it for 200k using both vouchers. Are my calculations incorrect? Should it be even less?

FatherOfFour 276 posts

You mentioned 2 vouchers. Although I notice in separate accounts. So.. Account 1, voucher 1: 2 people. = 50k (2 for 1). Account 2, Voucher 2: 2 people = 50k. Plus your “extra” – add to the booking, another 50k. Total 150k Avios (plus fees)

dradrian 10 posts

Got through twice tonight but was told I was calling in too early. Called again at 12.45 to only not get through at 1am. Got my tickets online anyway using 220000 avios with £487.5. HND-LHR 2XCW

How can I now combine both my outbound and inbound as same 2-4-1 redemption to get 110000 avios refunded?

So lucky tonight!

illuminatus 3 posts

To the winner the spoils, I got thru by phone in good time, and yet you seem to have beaten the agent for the tickets I was after (I needed 3)!

Oh well, will try tomorrow again.

A question: as I need 3 tickets, the best combo is BA 241 + Barclays upgrade voucher, but that creates 2 bookings on the out leg. Will it slow the agent in any way for blocking 3 seats for the return leg? Or they block the seats 1st, and then sort out the exact bookings etc?

NorthernLass 7,478 posts

@dradrian, you don’t combine the bookings – you contact BA (by phone, chat or Twitter), given them the 2 booking references, which will remain as such, and ask them to refund 50% of the avios for the return leg. You might need to HUACA with any of these methods as you don’t always get a cooperative agent first time!

michaelsco81 2 posts

Hi all first time poster

I’ve been following this thread and wanted to share my negative experience of the 1AM roulette

I have 4 CW outbound for Easter ‘24 LHR – DXB which I wanted to add a return to, before the end of school holidays.

I called US +18004521201 Tues 00:50BST and got disconnected from queue at 01:00BST

I called US +18004521201 Wed 00:45BST and got through to an agent / through security who told me at 00:55BST that she wouldn’t be able to help as the line closed at 01:00BST and the tickets would be released ‘out of hours’ and to call the UK call centre on opening at 08:00BST.

I then tried to call Australia +611300767177 00:57BST and got through quickly but seemed to choose the wrong IVR option and the agent couldn’t help with Avios / Companion. I made another attempt at 01:00 but by then I could see the seats disappearing.

The US number can be called through Skype (free) but the Australia number can’t (and it’s £3p/m on Vodafone pay monthly)

Really disappointing that it seems to take so much luck. Now decision do I return in economy which will be a bit of a come down after going out in CW and also feels poor value for lots of Avios and 2 x companion vouchers.

All the best

AFKAE 144 posts

I called US +18004521201 Wed 00:45BST and got through to an agent / through security who told me at 00:55BST that she wouldn’t be able to help as the line closed at 01:00BST and the tickets would be released ‘out of hours’ and to call the UK call centre on opening at 08:00BST.

That’s terrible behaviour. I spoke to one who told me they are paid up until 1.15am to ensure there is enough time to process the admin. on the 1.00am calls.

NorthernLass 7,478 posts

@michaelsco81, that is very frustrating but seasoned avios users will tell you that flexibility is key to getting good value out of the 241, also and the importance of a back up plan! We’ve been stuck with school holidays for the past 12 years and you can’t assume you’re going to be able to get CW seats to a particular destination, particularly if there are going to be a lot of people chasing a limited number of seats.

You’ve got a lot of years while your kids are at school – save yourself some stress next time wait and see what’s available then make your booking at your leisure. We’ve had some amazing trips in CW and F by doing this and I’m happy to say I’ve never made the 1 am call!

If you absolutely can’t get back from DXB though, consider DOH. It’s an hour’s flight from DXB (which you can book on QR with avios). ALthough it arrives into LGW there is usually much better availability than DXB and you might even bag F seats.

Also I never assume BA agents are going to be helpful, some of them seem to be on a mission to deny as many requests as possible!

NorthernLass 7,478 posts

*Also there are still Y and PE seats available in economy mid April 24, which would be better than nothing and save you some avios. 7 hours on a day flight wouldn’t be too arduous in these cabins.

eshaq786 20 posts

You mentioned 2 vouchers. Although I notice in separate accounts. So.. Account 1, voucher 1: 2 people. = 50k (2 for 1). Account 2, Voucher 2: 2 people = 50k. Plus your “extra” – add to the booking, another 50k. Total 150k Avios (plus fees)

That’s awesome. So with the two accounts with 2 c 241 and 5 passengers, what’s the best way to bag the seats when they are released while applying the 241?

Do I apply the 241 initially with the first outbound booking and just book the return as a non 241 booking and then call up to apply the voucher for the inbound as well? Or is there a better way?

michaelsco81 2 posts

If you absolutely can’t get back from DXB though, consider DOH. It’s an hour’s flight from DXB (which you can book on QR with avios). ALthough it arrives into LGW there is usually much better availability than DXB and you might even bag F seats.

Thanks @northernlass, taken your advice on flexibility and got 4 CW back from DOH. Really spot on, helpful agent through UK Bronze line.

Appreciate the suggestion!

Gary 293 posts

she wouldn’t be able to help as the line closed at 01:00BST and the tickets would be released ‘out of hours’ and to call the UK call centre on opening at 08:00BST.

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate encounter. Noted increasing number of posters reporting the unwillingness to assist near 1am on this thread. Not meaning to be facetious, but it’s a worrying state of affairs that one’s staff/workforce is reluctant to stay just few minutes pass finishing time.

xefo 48 posts

Am I right in assuming that the 1AM option is only for “avios rich” people who can afford both redemption tickets when calling? There’s no option to combine the bookings using the companion voucher while on the phone?

AFKAE 144 posts

Am I right in assuming that the 1AM option is only for “avios rich” people who can afford both redemption tickets when calling? There’s no option to combine the bookings using the companion voucher while on the phone?

No, it’s really the other way round. Avios rich people will book online (if possible) and then phone later to get the Avios refunded.

The idea of phoning at 1am is twofold-firstly to get first chance on availability of seats and secondly to complete the return all in one avoiding the need for double Avios.

dradrian 10 posts

Just phone BA executive club blue number. Really helpful lady refunded 110000 avios and ?merged my bookings.

For some reason I always get through quicker using the blue number instead of silver 🥹

I would like to share my experience after a few attempts at the 1am USA call. When I booked my outbound flight for Easter Monday next year, the agent I spoke to was really helpful and professional. I got through around 12.45-47 am and he kept me on the line until he was able to grab the tickets and finalise the booking.

The nightmare then begins. For my inbound flight booking, every agent I spoke to immediately changed their tone and attitude when they know I was trying to book a reward flight at 1am and they either stop you and ask you to call again later even when it was almost 12.50.

Mixed experience overall.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.