Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help Cancelling flight due to child illness

• LondonFly 83 posts

Your kind help please.

I am waiting for medical advice re a child being allowed to fly with illness which will mean the child will need to wait a few days until they can fly and won’t be able to fly tomorrow.
    If the child can’t how do I deal with change and insurance?
    Do I speak to travel insurance first?
    or airline?
    Can both parents and other children all change their flight or will insurance only allow for the ill child and one parent to change and delay their flight and the rest of the party fly as scheduled tomorrow.

Thank you

ChrisC 956 posts

Speak to the airline first.

Your insurance company will expect you to have done that anyway.

What your insurer will cover in terms of covering who flies and when and what they will pay depends on your policy and only they can give you a definitive answer.

Froggee 897 posts

Yes as per ChrisC

Ask airline nicely to change. They will most likely say no.

Make sure that you get the advice on child not travelling in written, official form as this will be required by the insurance company.

Dig out your policy wording now and see who is covered and for how much. I’d then suggest calling the insurer to confirm your understanding before booking alternative flights.

The insurer will expect you to do everyth8ng you can to mitigate losses. Remember – if you don’t travel and the ticket is completely non-refundable you ares tile titled to taxes back!

LondonFly 83 posts

Thank you.
    We have been told by doctor that child cannot fly.
    will get documentation
    will call airline but not sure ill get through tonight
    which insurance shall i use?
    nationwide, amex plat, amex gold?

LondonFly 83 posts

flight is tomorrow!

JDB 4,379 posts

Thank you.
    will get documentation

Sorry to hear this and hope (s)he recovers quickly and fully.

In respect of where to claim, I don’t think Amex Gold covers you and re Plat, for cancellation it requires you to have paid with the card, but potentially any Amex. Also, check that the illness that has led to the cancellation isn’t potentially excluded under Plat as the policy has its limitations in that respect. Nationwide has fewer exclusions, the payment method is irrelevant and they are rather easier to deal with and more human than Axa/Amex, so personally I would make the claim with them. Whoever you make the claim with, you will almost certainly be asked whether your claim may be covered under any other policy and it is essential you do state those other policies to avoid the risk of invalidating your claim. Those insurers will then, behind the scenes, share the loss. As above, see hat you can recover yourself from airlines, hotels etc. first. Hope it all goes smoothly.

LondonFly 83 posts

Thank you for this.

It looks like one parent and the child will delay their flight and the rest of the party will travel. I will have to pay the airline for the change of date.
    I did pay originally with amex gold, so is it best to go to nationwide first?

Thank you.
    will get documentation

Sorry to hear this and hope (s)he recovers quickly and fully.

In respect of where to claim, I don’t think Amex Gold covers you and re Plat, for cancellation it requires you to have paid with the card, but potentially any Amex. Also, check that the illness that has led to the cancellation isn’t potentially excluded under Plat as the policy has its limitations in that respect. Nationwide has fewer exclusions, the payment method is irrelevant and they are rather easier to deal with and more human than Axa/Amex, so personally I would make the claim with them. Whoever you make the claim with, you will almost certainly be asked whether your claim may be covered under any other policy and it is essential you do state those other policies to avoid the risk of invalidating your claim. Those insurers will then, behind the scenes, share the loss. As above, see hat you can recover yourself from airlines, hotels etc. first. Hope it all goes smoothly.

JDB 4,379 posts

@LondonFly yes, I would go to Nationwide first. Hope it all works out in the end.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.