Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Cancelling / moving a routine BA flight

• Stevejc81 7 posts

Hi All,

First post, so go easy on me!

Three of us are booked with BA short haul, Belfast – London return in early October. The flights were booked in April – just regular tickets. We no longer want to travel for this trip. What are my options for cancelling or moving the booking to next Spring?

Im guessing if I Cancel, I lost everything, or do I get the air passenger duty back? If I change to the Spring, would it just be the difference in fare (if this is even an option?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Steve

Froggee 897 posts

It depends on the terms and conditions attached to the tickets but most likely if you cancelled now, you would only be entitled to your taxes back which would be minimal after the fee which I think is £15. But better than nothing. You should be able to do this online.

But the best advice is probably to do nothing until the last minute. There is a reasonable chance that BA might allow you to change or cancel the flight free of charge as the passenger cap will still apply at Heathrow.

So for now, I’d do nothing.

PeteM 709 posts

As you booked whilst Book with Confidence was still in place, you can cancel for a voucher. This voucher will then almost certainly be refunded to you in cash. You can request this either via Manage My Booking or by calling. It may take up to a month for the money to come back.

Froggee 897 posts

I thought book with confidence ceases for flights as at 30 September?

PeteM 709 posts

I thought book with confidence ceases for flights as at 30 September?

So it does – my apologies! I had end of year in my mind!

NorthernLass 7,591 posts

Have you checked in MMB whether you have the option to change? Sometimes this seems to show even if it wasn’t in the terms of the original fare class.

*Just seen it’s your first post. Manage My Booking in your BAEC account if you didn’t know – there are all sorts of options in there like picking meals and seats.

Stevejc81 7 posts

Thanks all, and thanks Northern Lass for the suggestion. When I went into Manage My booking, I was confronted with an option of “Cancel my Flight”. I was a little worried about hitting it, as there was nothing to indicate why further options I would have, or if that would be the drop dead cancelling of the flight.

Charles Martel 124 posts

I have a Canadian flight booked for the end of November I’m desperately hoping is cancelled so I can get a voucher, feels unlikely though as the announcements of mass cancellations have practically stopped. BWC made me far to flippant about future plans.

Given how little you get back on a voluntary cancellation it might be worth keeping your fingers crossed and hoping BA, industrial action or something else give you the excuse to ask for a refund/voucher.

Stevejc81 7 posts

Thanks everyone for input – With regards to moving the flight to next Spring – is this easily done, or just a difference in fare?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.