Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Marriott Bonvoy Cash out or carry on – at what point do you decide? Q from a low-earner.

• MuppetThumper 4 posts

6-7 years ago I did a reasonable amount of travel for work that enabled me to acquire enough points for a night in Paris and 2 in Santa Monica. I’m left with 65k that I have been ticking over ever since. Those free nights were nice but I do wonder if it was really worth it if you can’t push on like many forumites here and earn well into the 100’s of thousands to get some really super redemption possibilities (there was a within reach F1 Silverstone race day offer a few years ago but it went in a flash).

I love a good deal but I find keeping these balances going (I have similar with Accor) waiting for the right opportunities, and worrying about expiry, to be rather fatiguing. I’m just not sure its worth it for a balance like this if I’m not actively accumulating? Am I better off just looking for good value bog-standard package holidays than keeping these for travel? My current work doesn’t involve travel so opportunities to acquire more points look slim.

I have considered just blowing it on the shopping options but of course they are relatively poor value (65k points will get you a Sonos Roam, currently £140 equivalent). I could do the air-miles conversion – I have built up 230k Virgin airmiles over a long period hoping one day for a nice upper class redemption – but again that could be a single blow-out then done.

Curious if anyone else finds it more effort than is worth to keep mid-smallish balances alive. Thanks

TGLoyalty 536 posts

There are many hotel nights in the U.K. for 65 or less including the Langley. Use them for a regional trip and save far more than your shopping redemption

FlyingPtarmigan 53 posts

+1 for The Langley if you like that type of thing. The spa is excellent, nice grounds and good walking nearby. If you check in early and leave late then it genuinely feels like a mini-break.

I agree that small balances are a faff and best avoided.

MuppetThumper 4 posts

ok thanks guys, will check out the Langley.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.