Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Cash fare + Virgin credit card voucher

• RTS 123 posts

Hi all,

quick question, i am red on virgin with zero virgin points. If i cash fared a premium eco ticket, can i still upgrade this to upper class?

AL 569 posts

Yes. There are no stupid restrictions like BA have. You only need G class availability, and sufficient points, to upgrade to Upper. The points tables are at https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/flying-club/spend-points/upgrade-with-points.html. Taxes range from £200-£500.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,080 posts

The OP is saying he has zero points. You can upgrade with Virgin using the voucher on a cash PE booking so long as UC award availability is there. Must do by phone though.

Guernsey Globetrotter 583 posts

The OP is saying he has zero points. You can upgrade with Virgin using the voucher on a cash PE booking so long as UC award availability is there. Must do by phone though.

Yes – @RTS will just have to pay the additional TFCs for UC

RTS 123 posts

Bril thanks.

I have 4 vouchers expiring this year….. think a few may end up going to waste 🙁

Ash 621 posts

You can use them for other people, you dont need to be on the flight….friends and family can utilise them…albeit you will need to phone and book the tickets for them.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search is useful to find out the base taxes, fees, charges on different classes and routes.

MrGatch 2 posts

I called up Virgin this evening to make a credit card voucher 241 cash ticket booking and the agent told me that I could only 241 on an award ticket. Is this information correct?

I was trying to book MAN-JFK for 2 pax in Upper and expecting to pay the 50% surcharge in Virgin points but was told I couldn’t 241 a cash booking.

Help!

marks7389 425 posts

It’s not correct.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/07/24/how-to-virgin-atlantic-credit-card-vouchers-work-2/

However, there has to be award space in the booked cabin for the companion ticket. If there isn’t, you can’t do it. Could that be the issue?

If you search for UC award space on the flights you want to take does it show any?

peckishpassport 44 posts

I booked a PE fare LHR-JFK rtn and used a voucher to upgrade to UC . I was only credited with 100+100 Tier Points, but no base points.

As I understand, my booking should be eligible for Base points + Tier points. In addition, should the Tier points be credited for UC or PE?

AL 569 posts

@peckishpassport You can choose. The default is to get TPs and points for your revenue cabin (or originally booked cabin, if you’re on award). If you want more TPs, email vapartner.points@fly.virgin.com including your name, PNR, ticket number and Flying Club number.

HelenM 19 posts

Hi
    I am a Virgin red member and looking to use my reward voucher to upgrade from Premium to Upper Class. I have a couple of questions.
    I have enough points for the Premium economy points fare, and I want to then use the voucher to upgrade to Upper class

1) Does there need to be reward availability in both Premium and Upper class for the flights I want to take, or does it just need to be available in Upper class?
    2) Do I pay the taxes for Premium or for Upper class?

Thanks
    H

NorthernLass 7,419 posts

There just needs to by availability in UC, and unfortunately you pay the UC surcharges!

HelenM 19 posts

There just needs to by availability in UC, and unfortunately you pay the UC surcharges!

Thanks – that helps as there is UC availability on the dates I want but not PE.

VickyTM 111 posts

Are you sure? – I thought you had to have availability in both PE and U/C to do that.

RTS 123 posts

Are you sure? – I thought you had to have availability in both PE and U/C to do that.

It depends who you get in CS… Some say need availablity in PE, another will say in the class you’re upgrading to. The latter is more plausible and what happened to me when I booked mine.

Rydel22 9 posts

Ive been saved VA points for a while and finally got a decent amount abd a 241 to use. On a normal booking you can add the domestic sector is this doable with the 241 or can add it on later, or do I just need to do a seperate booking altogether?

Thanks

HelenM 19 posts

Does anyone know – if you make a booking using points and an upgrade voucher, but then need to change the date, does Virgin charge for any changes? There is reward availability on the new dates.

sentio85 29 posts

Bril thanks.

I have 4 vouchers expiring this year….. think a few may end up going to waste 🙁

I think you can ‘gift’ then to other people. I need a voucher for Clubhouse access if you are interested in realising some value for one of the vouchers.

sentio85 29 posts

Does anyone know – if you make a booking using points and an upgrade voucher, but then need to change the date, does Virgin charge for any changes? There is reward availability on the new dates.

They say they do – normally £30 per ticket (I think) but I have had it done free. It just depends on the CS.

HelenM 19 posts

They say they do – normally £30 per ticket (I think) but I have had it done free. It just depends on the CS.

Thanks

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.