Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Centurion Lounge guest policy after Feb 2023

• RonnieB 288 posts

I notice this from Feb 2023 – presume this applies to UK Platinum card holders also??

U.S. Platinum Card® and U.S. Business Platinum Card® Members will be charged a $50 USD fee for each guest (or $30 for children aged 2 through 17, with proof of age). U.S. Platinum Card® and U.S. Business Platinum Card® Members will qualify for Complimentary Guest Access for up to two guests per visit after spending $75,000 in eligible purchases on their Card between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022 and in each calendar year thereafter.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

No, this is purely a US thing.

It doesn’t impact Platinum cards issues anywhere else in the world.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,096 posts

Overcrowding is a daily and indeed day-long issue at US Centurion lounges. Some operate a queue; some will take names and ask you to come back. Amex had to do something and this is what they’ve settled upon for now.

Andrew J 769 posts

I popped into the JFK one earlier in the year and was shocked how overcrowded and unpleasant it was – stayed about 15 minutes, time for a cocktail in the Speakeasy and then went to the Clubhouse for some peace. I’ve not bothered to try the LHR one, there’s plenty of One World lounges to keep me busy and no one would leave the LHR Clubhouse to go anywhere else. I should give it a go sometime though – maybe if I’m flying AF.

Luca M 391 posts

I popped into the JFK one earlier in the year and was shocked how overcrowded and unpleasant it was – stayed about 15 minutes, time for a cocktail in the Speakeasy and then went to the Clubhouse for some peace. I’ve not bothered to try the LHR one, there’s plenty of One World lounges to keep me busy and no one would leave the LHR Clubhouse to go anywhere else. I should give it a go sometime though – maybe if I’m flying AF.

I actually think that aside of not having windows /natural lighting, the Centurion Lounge at LHR T3 is the better lounge I have been in for a long while (to the point that even with Club Europe ticket, I would still prefer it to the BA lounges).

I do not think I have ever seen it even remotely filled to 25-30% tops capacity and the food and drinks offer has been really good. I have no experience of any US ones so not sure what happens over there but if flying from LHR T3 I would strongly recommend to at least pop in and see it by yourself

dougzz99 619 posts

I actually think that aside of not having windows /natural lighting, the Centurion Lounge at LHR T3 is the better lounge I have been in for a long while (to the point that even with Club Europe ticket, I would still prefer it to the BA lounges).

I do not think I have ever seen it even remotely filled to 25-30% tops capacity and the food and drinks offer has been really good. I have no experience of any US ones so not sure what happens over there but if flying from LHR T3 I would strongly recommend to at least pop in and see it by yourself

But anyone with a CE ticket should be in the Cathay or Qantas lounges not the BA one, so comparison is a bit flawed. All the Amex lounges I’ve visited, which means US and not the T3 one, have been crowded to the point of unpleasant.

Luca M 391 posts

@dougzz99 if I quote you it won’t le me post it, so here it is my replay to your comment:

My observation on preferring it the Centurion lounge to the BA lounge eve with a CE ticket is not flawed, is simply an example of my preference that even after paying for a CE ticket, where in my opinion Lounge access is a big part of why I pay for the ticket, I would chose to go to the Centurion lounge and not a comparison to all OneWorld lounges that I may have access. I am not familiar with the food offer in the Qantas or Cathay lounge but rarely I have seen such a varied offer all to a relatively good standard (as a Buffett standard is concerned). The lounge has been never crowded (again 25-30% full is my best estimate) and probably over-staffed, being kept spotless, counters refilled continuously and the bar service super quick. My wife and kids are in full agreements with me and every time we approach LHR their question is “if we are going again in that beautiful lounge with the colouring books”.. as a side note, food wise, I can only rank it second behind Naples (unbeatable fresh Bufalo mozzarella, cured meats, breads, baked pasta, Neapolitan mini cakes..) but the service there is not even 25% to the standard of the Centurion.

dougzz99 619 posts

If it works for you great. Have you been to the Qantas or Cathay lounges?

Luca M 391 posts

The thing is you are dismissing a lounge you never been in, that has never received the negative reviews about overcrowding simply because in another continent you had that experience. So, yes it is working for me and for the many people that have written similar great review.

I have not yet had the opportunity to use the Cathay and Qantas lounges but will certainly check them out next time I fly CE from T3 or after October as I should get my silver status. Even if they turn out to be the best, it will not change my opinion that the Centurion at T3 is amongst the best lounges I have experienced.

JDB 4,384 posts

Not everyone agrees about the Qantas lounge either! My son went recently after all the eulogies on here and found it very poor. Crowded, untidy, dirty seats, tables and floor, poor quality food.

Andrew J 769 posts

I’ve never found the Qantas lounge to be anything other than spotless. But agree the F&B offer isn’t great – it’s good for cocktails and the coffee is excellent, but it only serves an Australian sparkling and not champagne and the water is tap – both deal breakers for me, so it’s only a fleeting visit I give the lounge and then onto Cathay First for the main event.

Luca M 391 posts

But anyone with a CE ticket should be in the Cathay or Qantas lounges not the BA one, so comparison is a bit flawed. All the Amex lounges I’ve visited, which means US and not the T3 one, have been crowded to the point of unpleasant.

I can only repeat that it is then worth to have a look by yourself if travelling from T3 as in my experience is anything but crowded. The difference may be that in the US Amex lounge access is possible with a number of Amex cards not only the vanilla Platinum and Centurion, and there are probably many more Platinum cardholder to the UK. Also, T3 May itself not be the highest volume hub with as you said a number of good options aside of the BA lounges.

I have yet to read a reliable negative review amount the T3 Amex lounge so that should speak in itself

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.