Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Changing from BA Blue card to BAPP

• Ducktails 17 posts

I’ve been with Amex for about 20 years. I called to change my BA Blue card to the BA Black card like I do most years. There is never an issue to switch them. I’ve now been told this isn’t possible because there is “no offer on my blue card to switch to the black” and there’s nothing they can do. I’ve never heard of this before. Amex’s solution was that I apply for a new BAPP card myself but none of my £9k spend would count. Has anyone else encountered this before and found a solution to switch the cards? Thanks

SteveJ 977 posts
    Ducktails 17 posts

Thanks so much Steve! All done and approved 🙂 I will raise it with Amex though, as how they’re not able to do this via the call centre is beyond me.

SteveJ 977 posts

It is utterly bizarre. Their call centre will often make out it’s not even possible, whilst it’s an absolute breeze on the website. No rhyme or reason but been that way for some time.

alig4th 322 posts

It is utterly bizarre. Their call centre will often make out it’s not even possible, whilst it’s an absolute breeze on the website. No rhyme or reason but been that way for some time.

Interesting to know if the rep they spoke to was in the UK or in an overseas call centre. I’ve found the latter don’t have the training, accesses or authorities to do anything even slightly “complicated”.

Luca M 391 posts

It has happened to me last year when I upgrade before the fee hike.

They said there was no promotion on my account and they could not do the upgrade. I told them I did not accept that and eventually a supervisor got involved and did something manually/overridden the system to get me upgraded..

The problem with applying for a new account, is that from a credit file perspective it is a completely new account whilst change of product on the original account (upgrade/downgrade) are actually not seen at all on one credit file.

Also, as it is a separate account for Amex, your spend on the older account cannot count towards the new account 2-4-1.

If at all possible, I would not close the original/oldest account.

Alesio 26 posts

I am £500 away from the 10k spend in the Free BA card. If I upgrade would I be able to obtain the premium BA card 241 voucher instead of the economy 241 voucher on the Free BA card before my renewal date in Nov?

AJA 1,062 posts

I am £500 away from the 10k spend in the Free BA card. If I upgrade would I be able to obtain the premium BA card 241 voucher instead of the economy 241 voucher on the Free BA card before my renewal date in Nov?

Yes! Absolutely the route to take. Do it before you hit the £10k spend.

NeilP57 11 posts

Yes! Absolutely the route to take. Do it before you hit the £10k spend.

But what happens if you have a spend between £10k and £12k on your Blue and you upgrade to BAPP?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.