Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Changing reward night date using the same reward points?

• JR 14 posts

I booked IC Park Lane for next weekend with 40k points. Ditto Kimpton Fitroy with 45k. I can’t make it. I tried to change the date of the bookings online (hopefully to keep the same rate) but it doesn’t allow me to do so. It says I need to contact Customer Care. Has anyone had success changing the stay date but keeping the same reward rate?

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,079 posts

You can’t change a reward booking only cancel and rebook.

NorthernLass 7,577 posts

Yes – sadly you will need to cancel and rebook and this would be at the current points rate. My 40k pn Park Lane booking for next July would now be 95k pn so I am not moving that!

I have had to reluctantly forego a couple of these “deals” over the past year – one can only hope they get the intern back soon!

John 1,000 posts

You wouldn’t expect to keep the same rate if you changed a paid booking, and IHG doesn’t use fixed pricing for award nights so you shouldn’t expect to keep the same rate for those.

Peggerz 101 posts

All the advice above is correct but it wouldn’t do any harm to phone the hotels own reservations. I had an old IHG CC free night booked at a UK hotel earlier this year (I know not the same as points exactly, however) and couldn’t make the night booked. The rules would not allow a move of dates, but after phoning the hotel reservations I got a move. So nothing to lose by making a quick call……

SGJNI 69 posts

Peggerz

What sound advice!

JR 14 posts

Thanks Peggerz. Unfortunately the phone call didn’t work for me. Gutted.

NorthernLass 7,577 posts

All the advice above is correct but it wouldn’t do any harm to phone the hotels own reservations. I had an old IHG CC free night booked at a UK hotel earlier this year (I know not the same as points exactly, however) and couldn’t make the night booked. The rules would not allow a move of dates, but after phoning the hotel reservations I got a move. So nothing to lose by making a quick call……

Interesting to know that they can do that, despite protestations to the contrary from numerous hotels! Which hotel was it and what did your booking show as once it was moved?
    However, I’m thinking they might be more likely to move a “free” night than one where the points price has changed, though I can never recall whether they actually get more money for a higher points rate!

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,079 posts

Hotels get a set fee for redemption nights that isn’t based on the cash rate.

Rob has mentioned £30 (or was it $) per night in the past which would cover housekeeping and contribution to overheads.

Hotels only get full price reimbursement if they get something like 95+ occupancy.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.