Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Could the Chase IHG credit card come here?

• Vin 7 posts

Just received advert for Chase IHG card – presume only for US residents – with some impressive benefits.
    With Chase launching in the UK one wonders if they will be the new partners after Creation.
    Apols if already been posted/discussed 🙂

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/125k80ksbsaep?CELL=6S0M&cm_sp=WEB-_-IHG-_-US-_-EN-_-CC-_-CHASEPREMIER125KFN-_-HERO-_-AIX-_-GFQF-_-S0M&ihgid=undefined

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    dst87 264 posts

I’d love an IHG card that wasn’t issued by the Creation incompetents, but I struggle to imagine how a product with those terms could possibly exist in the UK. 🙁

MD 14 posts

Wow, insanely generous terms. Oh, to have an address in the USA…

The Savage Squirrel 571 posts

Worth remembering that US residents pay for that (and more) by the high interchange fee … that is baked into the price of everything they buy.

dst87 264 posts

Worth remembering that US residents pay for that (and more) by the high interchange fee … that is baked into the price of everything they buy.

That’s very true. I value almost-universal credit card acceptance more than more generous card rewards.

Rui N. 831 posts

Well, the US have both.
    And that’s a (very) high value you place on CC acceptance… even without MS it’s very easy to get $3-$5k of value on sign-up bonuses per year per person in the US.

dst87 264 posts

Well, the US have both.
    And that’s a (very) high value you place on CC acceptance… even without MS it’s very easy to get $3-$5k of value on sign-up bonuses per year per person in the US.

That’s true, though if fees have to rise to the point that many places don’t accept card (or accept only debit card) then it’s a moot point – you can’t earn if you can’t spend!

As much as I really love credit card rewards and the experiences they open that I might otherwise never have, I don’t like the idea that those less fortunate than me are subsidising that through higher prices everywhere, though of course if things do change I’ll certainly take advantage of it!

Super Secret Stuff 357 posts

Well, the US have both.

That’s true, though if fees have to rise to the point that many places don’t accept card (or accept only debit card) then it’s a moot point – you can’t earn if you can’t spend!

As much as I really love credit card rewards and the experiences they open that I might otherwise never have, I don’t like the idea that those less fortunate than me are subsidising that through higher prices everywhere, though of course if things do change I’ll certainly take advantage of it!

The way I look at it is Visa and Mastercard are chasing every opportunity to raise there percentages since they’ve been forced to cut it substantially. But competitive forces obviously mean prices do go down. Unlikely to get worse now as fees are slowly increasing. So if it stays the same I’m happy. If a disruptor came in (like chase) I’d be overjoyed as I can finally ditch Amex’s shoddy customer service.

Rui N. 831 posts

Credit card acceptance is much higher in the US that most anywhere else in the world, so that’s not really an issue that has resulted from the level of fees. Dealing with cash is not exactly cheap in any case, especially in a country with relatively high crime rates like the US and where even the pettiest of crimes uses a gun.

While living in the US for almost a decade I think I only saw one place that only accepted debit cards and not credit cards.

Youllnever 182 posts

Credit card acceptance is much higher in the US that most anywhere else in the world, so that’s not really an issue that has resulted from the level of fees. Dealing with cash is not exactly cheap in any case, especially in a country with relatively high crime rates like the US and where even the pettiest of crimes uses a gun.

While living in the US for almost a decade I think I only saw one place that only accepted debit cards and not credit cards.

Like Savage Squirrel has mentioned earlier, acceptance rate probably won’t have been affected much by the interchange fee, but definitely results in a hidden mark-up of prices for goods and services to recoup this cost. It is therefore a moral question of whether consumers that use a basic debit card/cash should be subsidising those that have prime credit/generous reward card schemes.

philip 2 posts

Perhaps Chase will be given the contract for the UK img cards as they are now operating in the UK and provide current accounts.

wideboys182 23 posts

How can we get the US IHG credit card. with 0% FX would be an ideal card to use in the UK .. Wishful thinking

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.