Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Child friendly resorts for May bank holiday

• Grant 107 posts

I’ve left it very late to book something for the end of May bank holiday week and cash fares for flights seem to be sky high. Fortunately there is some limited Avios availability to a number of potential European destinations but they are all places I’ve never visited before and I’m struggling for inspiration as far as accommodation is concerned. Ideally I’d land on a resort style hotel suitable for families with points availability, but I am happy to stump up cash if need be.

Avios will get me flights to Lisbon, Porto, Madrid, south of France or northern Italy. Do the HfP collective have any recommendations for resort style hotels in any of those destinations? I have decent stashes of Hilton, Marriott and IHG points and the usual credit card gifted statuses.

Thanks

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

If your kids are small, Martinhal has a resort just outside Cascais (Lisbon). We did a few nights and were not hugely impressed because it is converted from, bizarrely, an adults only resort and isn’t exactly kid friendly in places despite some investment. Does the job though.

The same complex has a Sheraton resort and an independent one IIRC.

There’s an InterCon in Estoril / Cascais which we reviewed a few years ago if you search.

Obviously loads of places in Lisbon / Porto if you’re not after a resort.

From Nice, Terre Blanche resort was originally a Four Seasons. Nowhere near a beach. No idea what has happened to it since it went independent though.

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

Cash prices will be high because it’s half term plus the extra bank holiday for the Jubilee that week. Re south of France – have you considered Eurocamps or similar? As well caravans some resorts have chalets, cottages and log cabins. It’s not the height of luxury but they have great facilities for kids, and being French they are a bit more sophisticated than comparable UK resorts with decent on-site restaurants etc.

Michael C 666 posts

Following on from Rob’s tip, Martinhal also have a Lisbon city centre resort: sadly no pool, but great reviews.
    For something not luxury but practical, Eden VIP Aparthotel is in the very very centre of Lisbon, making all daytrips easy, and has apartments for 4 with kitchenette, + rooftop pool with stunning views.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.