Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Convert IHG points to Avios

• VinZ 142 posts

Hi there
    Just realised I had 25,000 points with IHG and I don’t know how to do with them. Maybe the best option for me is to convert them into Avios. How many would I get? And does it make sense? And how do I do that? Their website is quite confusing tbh.
    Thank you

Rui N. 831 posts
    VinZ 142 posts

Thank you. Is this the best way of spending those points?

stevenhp1987 330 posts

All depends on how much you value them and if you value HIX/HI stays…

25k points would yield 5k Avios (or 4k if they only let you send in multiples of 10k IHG points – I’m not sure, it’s not something I’ve ever done as it’s generally bad value).

I’d value 5k Avios at ~£50.

You could get 2 reward nights in a HIX somewhere for 25k points which I’d value as more than £50, but your mileage may vary.

VinZ 142 posts

Thank you. My only problem is that I wouldn’t stay at Holiday Inn hotels… Kimpton is a good option, Intercontinental too… and Mr&Mrs Smith as well.
    I’ll probably hold on these points and then convert them when about to expire if I haven’t managed to use them.

NorthernLass 7,540 posts

You can use points plus cash to book a room via IHG, you might find something which would suit you. The only thing to remember is that you’d get all points back if you cancelled, and not cash.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,203 posts

They are, realistically, not going to expire so I’d hold fire. If you only had 10k and would never earn more I might lean towards a transfer but 25k is worth a £100 hotel.

jj 520 posts

Thank you. My only problem is that I wouldn’t stay at Holiday Inn hotels… Kimpton is a good option, Intercontinental too… and Mr&Mrs Smith as well.
    I’ll probably hold on these points and then convert them when about to expire if I haven’t managed to use them.

The problem I have with using my 300K IHG points is that IHG has few aspirational hotels in the places I want to visit and, even then, only allows redemption for a basic room with no guarantees opportunity to upgrade. If I’m away with Mrs JJ, I like to have a room with a sofa so that we can relax in comfort, but IHG doesn’t really help that with points bookings.

So, for that reason, I’m seriously considering converting them to airline miles.

meta 1,434 posts

@jj Just get Ambassador membership for 40k points and you will very likely get an upgrade even on points bookings.

I did previously convert 40k IHG points to AA Miles when they ran a conversion promo and I needed a bit more for a redemption and purchasing AA miles was more expensive. I’d only convert if it was a low amount or have a specific airline redemption in mind.

davefl 1,218 posts

Points+Cash is the only realistic option these days with variable pricing.

I’ve just got 6.8p per point but I had to watch the points & USD rate vary almost daily on the booking I wanted from as low as 5.1p to as high as 6.8p

jj 520 posts

After making my earlier post, I’ve had another look and found that point and credit card voucher options at Mr and Mrs Smith seems to have increased hugely since I last hunted. I’m definitely more of a boutique than a chain kind of person, so I think that’s the way for me to go.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.