Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Cost to produce metal card for Amex?

• Harrods 120 posts

Apparently Monzo’s metal card cost £50 to produce and Revolut around £40…bit ridiculous if true?

I’m sure it doesn’t cost AMEX anywhere close to the figures quoted to produce the platinum card..

https://sifted.eu/articles/monzo-metal-premium-card/

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Volume is everything in these matters, and I’m sure Amex has drastically higher volumes globally than any UK fintech. Security concerns mean all cards cost more than you might imagine.

What is classy in the wallet though is very much in the eye of the beholder. I still think the classic green Amex and all black First Direct cards are rare examples of cards that are actually appealing to look at and use. The metal Curve is “meh” for me.

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Metal cards, I have the Amex and Curve but not because they are metal. Vanity and ego, same as personalised car registrations?

(Hides under nearest table to avoid the flak)

mark2 128 posts

I bought a personalised number plate for £239 when it was first issued and sold iyt years later for £4000.
    I think metal cards are heavy and these days no one sees the,

dougzz99 619 posts

Metal cards are useless, does anyone really carry one? I got a gold sup on my Amex for when I need to have a card.

Errol 5 posts

Metal cards are brilliant. I work in countries which don’t have functioning postal systems and one can get stuck away from home for extended periods (I got stuck away for over two years during COVID). Plastic cards don’t last long and crack so are a right pain if your bank can’t send you a new one. Fortunately I had a metal Revolut and an Amex Platinum on me so I did not have this problem during my extended overseas stay during COVID. The metal feature is one of the key selling points to me.

StanTheMan 217 posts

Metal cards are brilliant. I work in countries which don’t have functioning postal systems and one can get stuck away from home for extended periods (I got stuck away for over two years during COVID). Plastic cards don’t last long and crack so are a right pain if your bank can’t send you a new one. Fortunately I had a metal Revolut and an Amex Platinum on me so I did not have this problem during my extended overseas stay during COVID. The metal feature is one of the key selling points to me.

Pretty small user set that though – works in a country with no functioning postal service, gets stuck there during a worldwide pandemic, doesnt own a wallet that protects a a plastic card – Cant be too many people in that situation.

duggie1982 263 posts

Curve said around £70 for them

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.