Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Countryside Hiltons in the UK

• Captains_Son 9 posts

Hello,

Does anyone have a recommendation of a Hilton property that’s a good base for some countryside walks in the UK, ideally a couple of hours drive from London…?

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    The Savage Squirrel 568 posts

HGI Snowdonia is near Snowdonia, DT Cadbury North is near the Mendips, Avisford Park nr Arundel is near the South Downs, and hell, even the seemingly couldn’t-be-less-inspiring DT Newbury on the M4 is near the the Ridgeway and North Wessex Downs!

can 506 posts

I thought Avisford Park was closing down or leaving Hilton

JDB 4,375 posts

HGI Snowdonia is near Snowdonia, DT Cadbury North is near the Mendips, Avisford Park nr Arundel is near the South Downs, and hell, even the seemingly couldn’t-be-less-inspiring DT Newbury on the M4 is near the the Ridgeway and North Wessex Downs!

The Newbury one is quite grim and in a poor location. If you are interested in the Ridgeway/North Wessex Downs which has loads of fantastic paths/tracks you may be better to stay in Reading and take the train to Goring (15 mins) or drive where there are a number of restaurants as well as being on the Ridgeway. You can walk c. 20 mins along the river to the Beetle & Wedge. Regular pub of the year winner – The Bell in Aldworth also not far off the Ridgeway. I think there is a HGI in Abingdon not too far also.

usget 2 posts

Puckrup Hall near Tewkesbury – never stayed there (as I only live down the road) but the area around Tewkesbury is lovely for walking. Broadway is a short drive in one direction, the Malverns a short drive in the other direction, and plenty of other nice walking spots in between. Not sure what the actual hotel is like though – I suspect pretty ropey

Captains_Son 9 posts

Cracking suggestions, thanks all. Already booked into the Cadbury North for after new year. Looking forward to getting out into the hills after Christmas. Recently been a little less impressed by AirBnB so defecting back to hotels…

Karl 47 posts

I quite like Puckrup Hall. Good recognition of Diamond with a couple of free drinks in the bar and a nice upgrade to a huge room in the main house. The room was perfectly adequate, albeit slightly dated décor-wise, albeit you’re not paying a fortune to stay there.

As with a lot of these out-of-town golf resorts such as the St Pierre and the Marriott one near Derby, bear in mind that you could end up in the prefabricated building in the carpark rather than the historical hotel shown in the pictures.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.