Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Curve and Barclaycard Avios Plus

• Umgowah 7 posts

Whilst the Barclaycard plus card works when spending through Curve, the option of paying off the balance using Curve has now been disabled, you get a lovely little message that they only accept payments from UK debit cards. Still, it was good whilst it lasted (i.e. last month)

Rui N. 828 posts

Barclays hasn’t accepted payments via Curve for several years now.

iamlost 108 posts

What about using Curve/Barclaycard to pay off Amex – does that work?

Rui N. 828 posts

Yes.

trader363 109 posts

Doesn’t work for me! Amex says it doesn’t accept curve. It says something along the lines of . . . “This banking institution is not supported”

trader363 109 posts

Just tried again – says it needs curve frronted on

duggie1982 261 posts

I could do it with Barclaycard via curve with fronted off to pay amex last month (managed to pay 1k off) but now it needs fronted on

Rui N. 828 posts

Of course it needs fronted on. That’s a given to pay credit cards…

duggie1982 261 posts

Of course it needs fronted on. That’s a given to pay credit cards…

Not for me last month, only asks for it now (assuming curve updated their database with new bc avios)

Swiss Jim 48 posts

The “not working on Barclaycard” anymore is hugely frustrating, as it’s one of the reasons I’m a latecomer to Metal (not the only one….). Hey, you win some, you lose some. Are there other cards (beyond Amex) that are good from a points perspective – and which can still be settled via Curve?

duggie1982 261 posts

The “not working on Barclaycard” anymore is hugely frustrating, as it’s one of the reasons I’m a latecomer to Metal (not the only one….). Hey, you win some, you lose some. Are there other cards (beyond Amex) that are good from a points perspective – and which can still be settled via Curve?

Good luck in getting a reply, awfy hush hush as there was a spy in the group i have gathered

iamlost 108 posts

Good luck in getting a reply, awfy hush hush as there was a spy in the group i have gathered

I just want to clarify one thing. I know I’ll have to pay the 1.5% Fronted fee (or get Metal) to be able to pay Amex, but will Barclaycard charge anything e.g. by treating it as a cash-like transaction?

duggie1982 261 posts

I just want to clarify one thing. I know I’ll have to pay the 1.5% Fronted fee (or get Metal) to be able to pay Amex, but will Barclaycard charge anything e.g. by treating it as a cash-like transaction?

Last month i paid with the free Barclaycard through curve without fronted on and worked, that loophole is now closed, however i never got a charge on Barclaycard. Try it with curve fronted on for £10 to test it, hopefully you will not be charged from Barclaycard

jek 118 posts

Sorry to reviving this old thread but it may be better than open a new one.

Barclaycard may have gotten much more attentive. They just closed my Barclaycard account and I suspect it is because of using it with Curve fronted.

So this is a warning if you want to do something similar. Barclays does not incur fees, but they just close your account.

Bye bye Barclaycard!

can2 438 posts

Did they give any reason?

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

Which Barclaycard? Can you give some more detail?

jek 118 posts

I had the free Avios Barclaycard. Barclaycard have suspended the account and I don’t think that they will give a reason. So I don’t know for sure if it is connected to Curve, but I quite confident that it was because of a fronted cash-like transaction which I did a couple of days ago (and similar transactions last month, too).

Be careful out there.

redethernet1 85 posts

are you likely to open another cc again (amex or barclaycard) after being suspended? I take it the answer is no?

can2 438 posts

I guess you mean if the closure is by the bank, does that reflect on your credit report in a way other lenders may see it?

PeteM 714 posts

are you likely to open another cc again (amex or barclaycard) after being suspended? I take it the answer is no?

You will never have any credit ever again… Mwahahahaha

With various card closures behind me I can confirm the above is not the case ✅

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.