Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Curve experiences – Is there any pattern?

• Harrier25 850 posts

I’ve hardly been using Curve for the past 3/4 years, but now Che has stopped inviting my BC to his weekly soirees may need to revert for US spend (Virgin can take care of euro spend as long as that lasts). I am right in thinking that Mon – Fri I can use curve backed by HH visa with no FX fees?

Correct. Except at the moment it’s 7 days a week. When they do impose a charge, it’s just a 0.5% uplift on Friday’s market close. The same as Revolut. Although Revolut is spot FX rate while Curve is now MasterCard FX rate.

NorthernLass 7,469 posts

Thanks, @Harrier25. Not travelling to the US till December so we’ll see if whether either card is playing by then!

janed9388 63 posts

Did anyone have issues linking their Avios Barclaycard to curve ? trying to do mine now and keep getting an error message ‘could not verify your card’ try again. The barclaycard is definitely working as I’ve used it a handful of times both online and in store. Any ideas to sort this out ?

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Did anyone have issues linking their Avios Barclaycard to curve ? trying to do mine now and keep getting an error message ‘could not verify your card’ try again. The barclaycard is definitely working as I’ve used it a handful of times both online and in store. Any ideas to sort this out ?

Have you done a chip and pin spend yet?
    My Barclaycard and P2’s – the sequence has been – activate on app, chip and pin spend then add to curve. Worked smoothly.

janed9388 63 posts

yep, chip and PIN done; been on the phone to Barcalaycard this morning who were next to useless, I realiased no online transactions were going through and they said that apparently our phone number is wrong in the 2 stage approval something or other, except it’s not wrong. They’ve gone to investigate and will call back at 11. not entirely convinced they will.

stevellion 6 posts

Let us know – I’m about to try the Curve setup too, fed up of not having mobile payment on this card.

janed9388 63 posts

Let us know – I’m about to try the Curve setup too, fed up of not having mobile payment on this card.

Well they did actually call back and said it was issues with the phone number and something else and that it should now be sorted, but when I tried a transaction it wasn’t. Another two phone calls and two different representatives and it did start working but I’m not entirely clear what they did (and I don’t think they actually new either). It’s now linked with Curve and seems to be working OK – fingers crossed it stays that way.

Maples 182 posts

I’m thinking of getting the basic free Curve card solely for use when I’m abroad. I’ll mostly be using my Gold card to get double points but when Amex isn’t accepted, I’m thinking it’s better to get Curve and get 0% fees and still get 1 Avios per £1. I don’t think I’ll ever go over £1K per month and can keep it free.

I’m hoping it’s going to be okay and a smoothless process.

zio 249 posts

I’m thinking of getting the basic free Curve card solely for use when I’m abroad. I’ll mostly be using my Gold card to get double points but when Amex isn’t accepted, I’m thinking it’s better to get Curve and get 0% fees and still get 1 Avios per £1. I don’t think I’ll ever go over £1K per month and can keep it free.

I’m hoping it’s going to be okay and a smoothless process.

Remember that Amex cards don’t work with Curve. Apologies if you have the free Barclaycard which will generate 1 Avios/£, but your post read a little like you are hoping to hide your gold card behind Curve.

Maples 182 posts

Remember that Amex cards don’t work with Curve. Apologies if you have the free Barclaycard which will generate 1 Avios/£, but your post read a little like you are hoping to hide your gold card behind Curve.

Yeah I’m aware that Amex isn’t included. I mentioned Avios because I’ve got the free Barclaycard version. I should’ve done this earlier when I went abroad if it’s not going to cause problems.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.