Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Curve, fraud, and terrible customer support

• diesel678 2 posts

Still nothing back from curve although i have had one refund. Still 2 outstanding. I am now receiving new cards from the underlying credit cards. Still no access to curve app and i am reluctant to go back to being a metal customer. Whoever has my card details is trying to add to their apple pay as i keep getting notifications. Stressful but i know the card is blocked. So frustrating

sturgeon 193 posts

I received an automated call from ‘curve’ yesterday asking if a last minute.comt transaction was mine (£790 or so), pressed 2 for no and ‘curve’ called me immediately. They tried taking me through security asking for my postcode first. It seemed fishy, especially as I asked if I could call them back myself and I was heavily put off being told it’ll take 3-5 days for someone to return the call as you have to leave them a VM and I’ll be liable for any fraudulent transactions in that time. That itself is true as Curve support are terrible.

They claimed someone tried adding my card to google pay and must have all details. I then asked how they’d prove they were curve and they said they’d send a text, which they did. It showed as being from curve but had a very clear warning to never share the code over the phone as this is a scam. The scammer told me not to share the code but to dial it into the keypad at which point it was clear it was 1000% a scam.

The phone call came from Curve’s number and the text came from the same number as always. I imagine they were trying to reset access to my Curve app with ‘forgotten passcode’ as you just need DOB, postcode and then I assume a text is sent. As soon as I’d have shared the code I imagine they’d immediately gain control of my account and disconnect the call, job done.

Super convincing and concerning. Curve support did email me as I’d inadvertently called their number whilst on this call and must have left a garbled VM, so they emailed asking how they can help, and then told me this definitely wasn’t them and they need to send a new card. They’ve not replied since so I imagine it’ll go back to the super slow responses with endless chases needed. They haven’t replied to my in app chat support message either which was my first point of contact. Curve support is terrible but the fact they’re equally slow when clear scamming attempts are happening and someone must have got hold of a lot of my details (must be a data leak, my card is locked away) isn’t great.

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Do you not keep your card locked unless you’re actually using it?

It is worrying (and infuriating) that they have your number. Was the attempted transaction showing in your app? If not, I’d be wondering if they were just fishing (and phishing) to ascertain whether you actually are a Curve customer. I’ve had dodgy texts from banks I don’t even bank with notifying me of “fraudulent activity”!

redethernet1 89 posts

Do you not keep your card locked unless you’re actually using it?

whats the point of doing this?

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

It means nobody can use your card for a fraudulent transaction if they’ve managed to clone it or somehow obtain the details. That’s the whole point, I think! I have had a couple of attempts at fraudulent use but they were just rejected because the card was locked.

can2 467 posts

That’s concerning as I started to use Curve regularly with their 1% cashback with a lot of retailers. So it is not locked anymore..

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

I think Curve is quite a liability, to be honest! I use it very sparingly and keep it locked unless I’m actually using it. And keep a very close eye on the transactions.

Just FYI, the fraud attempts were both from Uber, in Washington DC and Vienna, so don’t leave any unlocked card details in your Uber app!

redethernet1 89 posts

It means nobody can use your card for a fraudulent transaction if they’ve managed to clone it or somehow obtain the details. That’s the whole point, I think! I have had a couple of attempts at fraudulent use but they were just rejected because the card was locked.

I know that but my question to the general public, do they do this to their other cards? Is it normal behaviour to?

sturgeon 193 posts

The scammer had my name and read out the last 4 digits of the card. Not sure if they had all the card details to be honest.

Curve resolved today and issued a new card. Surprisingly quick service for once.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

@sturgeon – Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. No matter how savvy and vigilent people like me like to think they are, if caught during a weak/distracted moment, it sounds like they were convincing and slick enough that it might have caught me off guard. Knowing what happened to you however will help me to be more on the ball.

I am the same as can2 however, my card is rarely locked as I use it multiple times daily, for the cashback offers. It is troubling.

BBbetter 642 posts

The scammer had my name and read out the last 4 digits of the card. Not sure if they had all the card details to be honest.

Do you use the card physically for payments? Or do you use it with Apple Pay / google pay?

sturgeon 193 posts

Do you use the card physically for payments? Or do you use it with Apple Pay / google pay?

It’s linked to my Apple Pay but I mainly use it online by typing in the details. I don’t take the card out of my home.

mkcol 56 posts

Reveived a phonecall from an 0203 number yesterday claiming to be from Curve Security Team. Knew my name and last 4 card digits. Asked if i’d made transactions at Dominos in Dublin and a few other random locations (I hadn’t).Got cut off and they called me back again on a witheld number 10 secs later.
    I didn’t give any information out other than to confirm my name when they called. They said they would have to send me a link to reset my seucrity via text message, at which point I hung up on them.
    Given that I only use Curve on either NS&I (fronted) or Apple Pay it seems they must have suffered a data hack/ breach.
    I contacted curve via the app but obviously no response.
    It is unsustainable to run a financial company this way and unfortunately (especially as I invested) I feel it is ony a matter of time until they are no more.

My husband had exactly this happen to him around the same time in December – they hung up on him when he repeated 3 times back that he would not be giving them any information about himself or any OTP sent.

Also he contacted Curve to report this and it took until January for them to acknowledge.

He only uses it via Google Pay.

redethernet1 89 posts

Shocking to hear all these horror stories from Curve, its only a matter of time until they shut down

Jill Kinkell 154 posts

I’ve just locked my curve card. Only thing is to remember to unlock next time use it!

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

I’ve got used to getting out my phone at the same time as the card.

Lumma 14 posts

Does anyone have the best way of contacting Curve currently? Since getting a new phone I can’t use the card at all, even if I log in to the app on the old device. Google pay doesn’t work either

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.