Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Dallas – Aer Lingus or American?

• gillbee36 12 posts

I’m flying to Dallas on a Monday from Glasgow and there are no BA options that day. Looks like like Aer Lingus via Dub or American via LHR. Times are much the same. Is one option better than the other ? Is it preclearance worth or for more Dallas? I’ve been in touch some horror queues on the US side but no experience of Dallas.

Any advice appreciated.

Richie 978 posts

I’d go Aer Lingus.

Zana 28 posts

I’ve flown LHR-DFW at least 30 times because my sister lives there. I would say that DFW immigration queues can be quite short or absolutely terrible. I’ve gone straight through but I’ve also in the queue for over an hour before. There’s no pattern that I could work out.

For what it’s worth, the queue in DFW is now automated for ESTA holders. If this is NOT your first time flying into the US on your current ESTA, then the machine will generally not flag you for further inspection and join the “long” queue.

I’ve also done the route via Aer Lingus – the pre-clearance in Dublin is great. Given current situation with LHR, I would go Aer Lingus.

yonasl 952 posts

Flying Air Lingus won’t earn Tier Points if that makes a difference to you.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,087 posts

Aer Lingus don’t fly direct to DFW. Are you sure you’re not being routed onto Jetblue or United on arrival in an East Coast hub? If so that’s quite a few more hours in a non-lie flat seat on the domestic flight within the US. Alternatively you’re being shown a mixed carrier route EI GLA-DUB then AA (who do fly direct) DUB-DFW. If it’s this latter option you absolutely should choose this over a LHR transfer. DUB has thrown staff at their congestion problem and you’d avoid initial security checks anyway as you’d transfer airside within T2 and go straight to US pre-clearance.

gillbee36 12 posts

Thanks all. It was AA from Dublin – I misread the routing. I think Dublin routing wins. Not fussed about TP earnings as my leisure travel will most likely be on VA.

dahokolomoki 103 posts

If flying Business, the other consideration ON AA is which route has their better Flagship seats. I’ve just booked DFW to LHR (as opposed to PHX to LHR) on AA because my flight is the newer 77W plane with the better business class seat.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.