Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Denied – any advice?

• Simonm 21 posts

I received a rejection letter which took me to a website page. It has a number to call on it – 0800 151 0900. Then I got stuck in an automated loop. From memory the telephone system wanted you to enter a barclaycard number, or press 1 for your account details etc. After calling up and trying different options about six or seven times and just saying “agent” I eventually got through to a helpful man who was able to see my application.

I said I was concerned the form wouldn’t let me input my address correctly, and the result didn’t match up with how Experian formats the address, and that may have been why I was rejected. He spent a good ten minutes with me on the phone taking all my details, asking me some questions, noting down my address and then linking my application to a previous Barclays Help to Buy ISA that I’d had. He sent it through and then the next morning I got a text to say my application had been rejected.

So a rather fruitless experience in my case! The worst part was definitely trying to speak to someone though.

Scottpat78 245 posts

Not that it will help you, but as a data point:

I’ve finally decided to go in with Barclaycard Avios Plus, and will cancel my HSBC Premier WE card once I have the new BC (fully) setup.

I applied as a new Barclays customer and had immediate acceptance and was granted a healthy 5 figure credit limit – slightly above what my HSBC Premier WE card is.

I applied via Rob’s link of course and now await the card then start the fun with Apply Pay & Curve. Have a 26 day US road trip in August, so if I crack Curve I will hit the spend bonus criteria very easily.

Wanted to share as a data point in case it helps others decide whether to go for it.

slliw 16 posts

Mentioned this before, Mrs applied and was rejected and a week later got a letter in the post saying she didn’t meet the income requirements. We ignored the letter and applied immediately again. Mrs was instantly accepted and now has the card. The Barclays validation system is messed up, shouldn’t have even allowed her 2nd application to have gone through for at least another 6 months.

Rui N. 831 posts

I did that 10 min apart after emancipating my toddler.

bd85uk 30 posts

Is it worth applying if turned down by the eligibility checker? I remember the Virgin cards checker was not very accurate and told to ignore it.

Would that be the same here?

Thanks
    Ben

aq.1988 456 posts

Is it worth applying if turned down by the eligibility checker? I remember the Virgin cards checker was not very accurate and told to ignore it.

Would that be the same here?

Thanks
    Ben

I couldn’t say for the Barclaycard, but I scored 3/10 for the Amex gold when I did the eligibility checker despite no reason to think why it would be so low, although I got a 9/10 score on Money Saving Expert. I decided to just chance it as I wanted the Gold then for the higher SUB and got approved with no problems and a healthy credit limit.

YMMV if you also decide to give it a go for the higher SUB on offer with BC

comeocome 43 posts

I have been with Barclays since I was 17 (my oldest account albeit I since have moved my main banking elsewhere I still circulate my salary through them and have few DD-the ones that won’t qualify for cash-back elsewhere). I got my first Barclaycard when I was 19 and that account is still open (albeit went through numerous product changes). At one point I held 3 Barclaycard as well when I was playing with balance transfer at 0 fees/ 0% interest. Starting from around £250 credit limit as a University student with a part time job, I eventually got to £20k limit on my oldest Barclaycard account (currently the discontinued Black Cashback card) and about £7.5k on my second one (Hilton). I did not use much either cards for the last 5-6 years as I did most of my spend on Amex anyway (as I did since 2002, first choice if accepted) and on alternative Visa/MasterCard rewards Cards (Lloyds Avios, HSBC Premier WE, MBNA Emirates/Horizon etc)… I am also a Barclay Premier customer with a spotless record (routinely check my Credit file, the score is meaningless) and I have noticed the shift on behaviour with Barclaycard since Covid. They suddenly contacted me in the first lock down to give me notice that my Credit Limit on the oldest account would be slashed from £20k to 7.5k, which I could not appeal, and also stopped offering me Balance Transfer offers that before were a monthly occurrence. I do have the option to swap either of my current Barclaycards in the app, but as the wife also had the same option for both of her standards BarclayCard Platinum, we have decided to switch her accounts to Avios and Rewards, so now we also have another two useful, rewards cards option in the stable.

As a matter of timeline, which may be different for product changes rather the new accounts, it took over a week for the Rewards card and almost a month for The Avios card to arrive (albeit someone said it is linked to the statement date, it still seamed off).

Would you mind sharing how you qualify for both Barclays Premier and HSBC Premier? How would you compare them? Do you like them? Thanks!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.