Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Downgrading from Barclaycard Avios Plus card?

• indominus_rex 8 posts

Has anyone downgraded from Avios Plus to Avios recently (from April 2023) after Barclaycard apparently made some changes to the Avios tracker? After downgrading, does your reward anniversary still reset like others who’d done it before? So if you took out the Plus card in January, downgraded in May, your new anniversary is May every year not January?

gundam 30 posts

I downgraded via the app. Took 3 weeks to process for some reason but yes, my spend and anniversary date has reset.

indominus_rex 8 posts

I downgraded via the app. Took 3 weeks to process for some reason but yes, my spend and anniversary date has reset.

Awesome stuff! Did you downgrade before or after hitting the £10K upgrade voucher? I’ll downgrade mine soon. I heard Barclaycard do the switch a few days after your next month’s statement date – Was that the case for you with the 3-week wait?

1967stuart2 15 posts

Just to provide some (positive) experience when downgrading from the Barclaycard Avios Plus to the Barclaycard Avios card

I applied for the Avios plus in November 2022 and received my 100,000 miles in March 2023 and then took the option to downgrade in the App. Was informed when downgrading that it would take place on my next statement date which was 20th May and was rather nervous on what would actually happen, however did not need to be as it was very seamless indeed :

# 20th May : bill generated

# 21st May : app still showed the Avios card plus account but showed the balance had been “transferred”

# 22nd May : Barclaycard Apple Pay changed automatically from Avios Plus to Avios Card (so I could continue to use it whilst waiting for the physical card)

# 23rd May : app updated to show new Avios card account

# 25th May : new physical Avios card arrives and pin remains the same as the previous Avios Plus one

indominus_rex 8 posts

Just to provide some (positive) experience when downgrading from the Barclaycard Avios Plus to the Barclaycard Avios card

I applied for the Avios plus in November 2022 and received my 100,000 miles in March 2023 and then took the option to downgrade in the App. Was informed when downgrading that it would take place on my next statement date which was 20th May and was rather nervous on what would actually happen, however did not need to be as it was very seamless indeed :

# 20th May : bill generated

# 21st May : app still showed the Avios card plus account but showed the balance had been “transferred”

# 22nd May : Barclaycard Apple Pay changed automatically from Avios Plus to Avios Card (so I could continue to use it whilst waiting for the physical card)

# 23rd May : app updated to show new Avios card account

# 25th May : new physical Avios card arrives and pin remains the same as the previous Avios Plus one

Is your new Annual Reward anniversary date on the 21st May when your balance had been transferred or 22nd May when your Apple Pay switched to the downgraded card?

1967stuart2 15 posts

Yes the renewal date changed to be 12 months on from when the downgrade took place plus the clock gets reset and showing that you need to spend 20,000 points

(to be very precise the renewal date gets set to the date you request the downgrade and not the date of your next statement when it took place : so in my case the renewal date is 25th April which is the date I requested the downgrade and not the 21st May when the statement was generated and the downgrade being effected)

gundam 30 posts

Awesome stuff! Did you downgrade before or after hitting the £10K upgrade voucher? I’ll downgrade mine soon. I heard Barclaycard do the switch a few days after your next month’s statement date – Was that the case for you with the 3-week wait?

Downgraded after I hit the £10k voucher. I requested the downgrade end of April. It finally happened on the 22nd May which is my new anniversary date.

ExpatInBerlin 186 posts

Is there any rhyme or reason to when the offer to downgrade from the plus card to the free card becomes available? I have just triggered my second upgrade voucher having taken out the card when it first launched in February 2022. Whilst the option to downgrade was definitely there last month, since hitting the £10k spend requirement to trigger the voucher it has disappeared. I am keen to downgrade to the free card rather than cancel completely as it’s so useful to have an Avios earning non-Amex card that is accepted pretty much everywhere.

JS 10 posts

Hi
    Is it possible to downgarde the barclaycard if I have used a balance transfer offer on it?

zapato1060 634 posts

Hi
    Is it possible to downgarde the barclaycard if I have used a balance transfer offer on it?

Yes.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.