Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Downgrading/Upgrading BAPP Card

• mycity 15 posts

Morning All,

I’m looking at downgrading my BAPP card for the blue, then upgrade again before I hit the £10,000 spend. I’m sure I’ve seen on here that Amex are taking a dim view of this currently, anyone got any updated views please?
    Thanks.

can 506 posts

It’s not just a dim view. They may now impose a grace period before you can apply BAPP. I’d double check.

mycity 15 posts

Thanks @can I’ve not heard about a grace period @Rob or anyone else heard anything?

JDB 4,341 posts

Thanks @can I’ve not heard about a grace period @Rob or anyone else heard anything?

There is no official policy/grace period etc to read or hear about. Obviously doing this is a way of evading payment of the full annual fee that most people pay, so there can be no certainty or entitlement in the downgrade/upgrade routine and Amex wouldn’t need to give notice if they ceased to tolerate it. It’s your decision.

Ash 621 posts

Whatever companion voucher you earn – you must pay for its redemption booking with the same card….eg you earn a voucher with the BA Premium card, downgrade to basic card, you’ll find you can no longer use the voucher for business class.

alig4th 322 posts

Whatever companion voucher you earn – you must pay for its redemption booking with the same card….eg you earn a voucher with the BA Premium card, downgrade to basic card, you’ll find you can no longer use the voucher for business class.

This is technically in the T&C but doesn’t work like this in practice. Any AMEX card (even not in your name) will do

polly 287 posts

@mycity
    It’s probably better to keep the BAPP a couple of months, after upgrading. Give them a couple months fees, then cancel. They don’t look too kindly on the down/up/down model in quick succession.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

There is certainly no official policy but some people are certainly getting a harder time from call centre agents. Whether this is encouraged by management or not is a different question.

guy 2 posts

I came across this link to downgrade from BAPP to BA free card

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/apply/downgrade/personal/credit-cards/ba-classic

so there is no need to speak to live people

pelicanicecoffeeolaf 64 posts

It’s not just a dim view. They may now impose a grace period before you can apply BAPP. I’d double check.

I was planning to downgrade and then apply for BAPP again early next year. Is this not advisable?

lordy 51 posts

I came across this link to downgrade from BAPP to BA free card

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/apply/downgrade/personal/credit-cards/ba-classic

so there is no need to speak to live people

Thats amazing, but that in my favourites for use later on.

BajanNation 25 posts

I upgraded to BAPP shortly before hitting the £10k spend and now have the 2-4-1 in my BAEC account. I was going to use the above link to do the online downgrade but as I’m hoping to get Platinum I think I might bin the BA Amex altogether for 2 years and then apply for BAPP to get the sign-up bonus. Any reason not to do this?

lordy 51 posts

I can’t see any reason to downgrade, either keep it if the 1.5x is beneficial or start a new 24m clock.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.