Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Dubai recommendations

• CG 31 posts

We’re a family of four (kids 12 and 10) going to Dubai for 2 weeks early August staying at the Atlantis half board. We know it will be hot!

Seems there is quite a bit to do around the hotel with the water park/aquarium etc. but we’re looking for recommendations of a couple of day trips to do as well.

Does any one have any recommendations for a desert safari company? Lots seem to have an evening meal/BBQ. That’s fine if it’s good but given we’ve already paid for dinner in the hotel I’d rather one that was during the day if the dinner’s not up to much. Kid’s won’t be driving quad bikes but would probably like to get on a camel.

Also planning a day up the Burj Khalifa/shopping.

Anything else worth checking out with the kids?

Any tips/tricks for the Atlantis or Dubai generally?

Half board dinner package at Atlantis seems to be more suited to the buffet restaurants as the a la carte ones seem to give you a set menu and charge a fairly large supplement,

Thanks in advance

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,095 posts

You’re better sticking to daytime. 42 degrees when the sun is up is preferable to 38 and intense humidity once the sun goes down. The Mall of the Emirates has a big indoor ski facility. I prefer that mall to the Dubai Mall at the Burj.

CG 31 posts

You’re better sticking to daytime. 42 degrees when the sun is up is preferable to 38 and intense humidity once the sun goes down. The Mall of the Emirates has a big indoor ski facility. I prefer that mall to the Dubai Mall at the Burj.

Thanks – good to know

Carlos 758 posts

Last time I remember Mall of Emirates had no in mall seating

Last time I remember Mall of Emirates had no in mall seating

Go into a shoe shop and seem eager?

Aston100 1,383 posts

I was in Dubai last week.
    I would not want to bring children there in summer.
    It was in the forties every day, mid thirties at midnight.
    Honestly cannot do anything worthwhile outdoors in daytime.
    I would suggest you reconsider.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

It is getting quite popular in August because of the value vs Spain etc. However, I agree, with kids it would be hard. With adults, you’d get up at the crack of dawn and then possibly head back to bed around 10am until 3pm-ish, effectively staying inside that entire period, before kicking off another beach / pool session.

Kids, unfortunately, are not as good at adults as being told they need to go back to bed or stay indoors for 4-5 hours during the day.

If you’ve never actually experienced 40+ degree heat then you are in for a surprise.

Amy C 372 posts

Full disclosure, I’m a huge animal lover & I can tell you what not to do if you are an ethical person. That is pay to swim with dolphins at your hotel. The last time I was in Dubai The Atlantis was proudly boasting that their dolphins were captured from the waters off the coast of Samoa. Despicable enough without considering they’re now cash cows living in a tiny pool within sniff of the open ocean being kissed and manhandled by morons all day.
    Likewise one of the big malls has a popular aquarium type thing in middle of it. Inside you can witness the world’s most miserable penguins living on a tiny block of ice and who never see daylight.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .

It is getting quite popular in August because of the value vs Spain etc. However, I agree, with kids it would be hard. With adults, you’d get up at the crack of dawn and then possibly head back to bed around 10am until 3pm-ish, effectively staying inside that entire period, before kicking off another beach / pool session.

Kids, unfortunately, are not as good at adults as being told they need to go back to bed or stay indoors for 4-5 hours during the day.

If you’ve never actually experienced 40+ degree heat then you are in for a surprise.

And yet, my sunmer experience is that northern Europeans (especially Brits) stay out by the pool all day long, colonising the in-pool bars especially. Which is odd to me as beachside you get a sea breeze all day long. I do take a break for the excellent lounges there serving afternoon tea but otherwise am quite content outside all day by the beach, dipping under an umbrella for a nap occasionally. I’d much prefer the daytime heat to the humidity at night. It makes walking feel a chore after sunset and slows me down escaping the abundant prostitutes that approach every man.

CG 31 posts

Thanks for all the advice and honest feedback. I think we’re committed at this point so will see how it goes and live and learn if it doesn’t quite go to plan.

Noted on the Dolphin’s at Atlantis – will not do that. Hope the aquarium in the hotel provides better conditions.

yorkieflyer 259 posts

It sounds divine…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.