Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Dubai virgin – best Hilton hotel option?

• NotTheRealRob 86 posts

Hi

I’m looking for a bit of winter sun next January and had been considering the warmer parts of Europe. Then I realised I’ve got a companion voucher so could get to Dubai quite cheap.

The question is what Hilton group hotel would be good for up to a weeks stay. Not sure what area is best as I’ve not done any more research yet so happy to consider all opinions. Would rather not be spending the mega high end so any “good value” tips appreciated

Many thanks

AJ92 8 posts

Hilton JBR if you’re sticking with Hilton group.

In terms of areas to stay, I always stay at JBR as it’s one of the nicest areas to stay, right on the beach if you like that kind of vibe, lots of restaurants, shops and things to do in the area.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

There is a new Hilton opening on the Palm soon. Will have a beach, be brand new and far fewer points than the Waldorf. Waldorf best though.

Or get a £40 taxi to Ras and stay at the better Waldorf there for half the money. We have reviewed.

PaulC 66 posts

Similar discussion here that may help.

https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/hiltons-in-dubai/

nwoody2001 25 posts

Having just visited Dubai for the first time, I posed this same question.

Without doubt, the most VALUABLE redemption in Dubai based on points vs rates is the Waldorf on the Palm. However things to consider.

My situation is I have Diamond Status and never been to dubai before. Whilst I wanted to just enjoy most of my stay by the pool, I also wanted to experience some of Dubai!

The Waldorf!

– best redemption on points/rates

– it’s located on the end of a branch on the palm. If you want to visit ANYWHERE in dubai, it’s either a taxi (not cheap and at the mercy of dubais horrific traffic), hire a private water taxi (expensive) or on public transport you need to get 1x mini-bus 1x monorail 1x tram and 1x metro ONE-WAY! If you don’t want to explore dubai then fine, but if you do, on the palm itself is pretty horrific!

– Walford on the palm has its OWN loyalty scheme and even if you have Hilton Diamond Status, almost none of your benefit are certain. No definite room upgrade and certainly no lounge access – tho I think you do get breakfast!

My choice and one to consider!

The Conrad!

– Not the highest benefit for points vs rates but at 70k limit for rooms, anything over £300 a night is worth your money! It was £500 when I booked!

– It is in the World Trade Centre district and has its OWN metro station! EVERYWHERE in dubai is pretty much a metro ride away, less need for taxis and traffic. I only got taxis to the beech (5 mins away).

– You are in the middle of dubai (3 stops from the Burj, Airport 8 stops away) unlike the palm which is on the edge.

– The Conrad has a lounge with diamond access. This meant I had breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening buffet and 2 hour “free drink HAPY HOUR” all for free every day. If I didn’t want to spend a single penny on food and drink I didn’t need to, and was upgraded to a suit! Ok you will spend money when exploring dubai but I only spent a fraction of what I would have had I stayed at the Waldorf!

Ok, I’m not saying the Conrad is the best… it totally depends on you, your status, your situation. BUT before picking the Waldorf based purely on points vs. Rates, have a think. The amount of Hilton offers in dubai is mind blowing (luxury – budget) so consider your option!

Just my thoughts!!!

Errol 5 posts

As a Dubai virgin, I would split the stay.

A few days at either Conrad or Waldorf DIFC to see sites and shop, followed by a few days at Waldorf Palm or the new Hilton on Palm entrance.

Or venture to Ras al Khaimah to the Waldorf there if you want to see a different Emirate.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,084 posts

There is a new Hilton opening on the Palm soon. Will have a beach, be brand new and far fewer points than the Waldorf. Waldorf best though.

Or get a £40 taxi to Ras and stay at the better Waldorf there for half the money. We have reviewed.

Will the new Hilton Palm’s beach be private to the waterline, or just to the boardwalk? It is perilously close to Influencer Nirvana aka Five. I’d want a roped-off beach to the waterline to avoid encroachers.

Could NotTheRealRob perhaps offer some insights into the kind of hotels/pool scene expectations they have? The hotels being named all have their pluses but they vary a lot in terms of the ambience they offer. It’d be useful to name some previous European sun holiday stays that you have enjoyed, and which hotels they were. For me, both Hilton JBR and WA Palm are beach hotels, but vastly different in terms of ambience and scene. It’s a rare night I’m not stopped by a prostitute outside the Hilton JBR.

blenz101 24 posts

Will the new Hilton Palm’s beach be private to the waterline, or just to the boardwalk? It is perilously close to Influencer Nirvana aka Five. I’d want a roped-off beach to the waterline to avoid encroachers.[/quote]

You have to cross the boardwalk for all of the hotels at West Beach so it will be private in the fact that only hotel guests and those paying for a day pass will have access to loungers. Anybody can walk across the beach though, it is also dog friendly. It is next to an identical Marriott of exactly the same design externally.

I can’t see anybody from Five wanting to leave their party zone to go and look at what Hilton are offering but the noise may well carry when they are hosting parties.

dbbs 23 posts

As per Errol’s response I would also split the stay, particularly if you want to manage costs…

3 nights at Hilton Garden Inn Mall of the Emirates and three at Doubletree JBR.

MoE is a good base for sightseeing trips and is next to a mall with plenty of shopping and dining options. Forget getting a tan by the pool though, you only get two hours of sun. Pool is heated though. You can also avoid the traffic jams at JBR which have
    gotten a bit silly. MoE is perfectly safe but the area around the hotel is a little seedy and there are call-girl cards on the pavement all over the neighbourhood. Bit difficult to explain that to a young child last month…

Doubletree JBR is very nice but three times the price of the Garden Inn. Lovely pool area and private beach. Rooms/apartments still looking pretty fresh and of course you have access to all the JBR restaurants.

We’ve also stayed at Hilton the Walk JBR but the rooms are tired and Doubletree is better.

Would love to get to The Waldorf, Palm at some point…

RHa 7 posts

When does the new Hilton open on the palm please Rob as I am going at the end of April?

Thanks.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

Website now says 1st September ….

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

Thought I would resurrect this as I’m doing a “fact-finding” trip in December as a ME virgin – 5 nights Dubai (outbound on BA using BC upgrade), 5 nights in Doha (inbound DOH-MAN on QR). I’ve booked the IC Doha for some beach time as it seems excellent value (£233 pn night for a club room), and am veering towards the Conrad Dubai for 280k HH points. Not bothered about being on Jumeirah Beach but a beach day would be nice. Apparently the Conrad has a shuttle to La Mer beach, has anyone been there?

Also – I’ve used avios to book DXB-DOH but the flight times were a bit crazy, basically 5.30 am or 11pm! Is that usual for QR?

Carlos 758 posts

Just got back from the Palm Jumeirah, the new one and I recommend it!

Guernsey Globetrotter 585 posts

Thought I would resurrect this as I’m doing a “fact-finding” trip in December as a ME virgin – 5 nights Dubai (outbound on BA using BC upgrade), 5 nights in Doha (inbound DOH-MAN on QR). I’ve booked the IC Doha for some beach time as it seems excellent value (£233 pn night for a club room), and am veering towards the Conrad Dubai for 280k HH points. Not bothered about being on Jumeirah Beach but a beach day would be nice. Apparently the Conrad has a shuttle to La Mer beach, has anyone been there?

Also – I’ve used avios to book DXB-DOH but the flight times were a bit crazy, basically 5.30 am or 11pm! Is that usual for QR?

Hi @NorthernLass – The IC Doha deal certainly looks a great rate with club lounge access too. In Dubai, I haven’t stayed at the Conrad but have been in the Marina / Jumeriah Beach area before and you’re pretty well placed for everything there whereas the Conrad is in the financial district (albeit also near the Burj Khalifa and malls etc.). A lot on here seem to rate the Grosvenor House at the Marina, which has some great restaurants / bars and is paired with Le Meridien for use of beach facilities. I’ve eaten at the Indian restaurant there and also enjoyed the cocktails at the Buddaha Bar and can vouch for them!

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

Thanks GG, Grosvenor House does look nice but I’ve got stacks of HH points plus free breakfast as HH gold. The Conrad just looked well placed for the airport and public transport as effectively we’ll only have 4 1/2 days there and the rooftop pool and spa do look very nice.

Mart16 48 posts

One thing to flag is keep an eye on cash rates if going to the Waldorf.

Myself and OH was booked with 320k HH points on 5 for 4 (would now be 340k with the points hike). Free breakfast as Gold. Quoted approx £900 to upgrade to Pearl room with lounge access for 5 nights.

A week or so ago a crazy rate showed available at £400 per night with half board, 2 drinks per day, and pearl room/lounge access. A no brainer to get the points back, pay cash, accrue the points with the current double points offer (and those saved HH points are now going towards our Cancun hol courtesy of the BA flash sale!)

Biki 117 posts

Taxis are cheap and easy to get in Dubai, so easy enough to get to most places if you need. Some hotels do a day pass which includes credit towards F&B if you wanted a day by the beach or pool anyway, if that’s what you wanted.

We stayed at Grosvenor house in December and it was really good. We had the half board package where you could dine in a number of resturants at GH or Le Royal Meridien, all of which were great. Eating out has got pretty expensive generally in Dubai, so if you can get a food package included, or have breakfast and lounge access then this will save you a lot.

If you like a drink and don’t want to spend too much then you can bring 4ltrs of wine or spirits in each, to drink in your room. also Saturday brunch is a big thing, with some big buffet and all you can drink offers, or some that are a la carte.

The flights to Doha are generally timed for people comuting backwards and forwards for work (or at least they used to be). I worked in Qatar for a while and lived in Dubai. I’d get the 5.30am flight out, work there for a couple of days and then fly back to Dubai. You’d see pretty much the same people, in the same seats every week!

Waldorf Palm is in the Impresario 4 nights for price of 3 offer running all spring (maybe all year). I agree – as a Diamond and with Impresario earning double points and the current spring promo, you’d earn quadruple points on a cash stay.

@northernlass I will be back in Dubai 2-3 times before December (including Feb at IC RAK and WA Palm) so happy to check out any queries you might have.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

Thanks, appreciate that. I’ve read many pros and cons of both but we want a bit of winter sun and a chance to try a couple of QR flights via DOH as not tied to BA so much now but like being Silver/Sapphire very much!
    Will definitely check WA rates as well.

sxparkin 54 posts

Waldorf was good and we got a half board package which was excellent value, we were there when road works on the Palm and traffic was bad getting off the Palm eg to go to airport / dinner – one other point which does not show easily on the photos There is a huge power station next to the hotel which is an eye sore if that type of thing bothers you….if it may I would research via photos before booking – The Gold Floor at the Fairmont is consistently good but do book ocean/sea side of hotel as the road is very noisy at night that side of the hotel….good luck and have a great stay.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

I realise this has moved a bit from HH but don’t think it’s worth starting a new thread – just booked Grosvenor House for December via BA Holidays as half board is still included at the moment. Works out about £280 pn which feels like decent value as I’m only Bonvoy gold so wouldn’t get free breakfast. I’ll pay for it using the bonus avios BAPP offer as well.

@Biki
    , I’d appreciate any more details you can share about the dining!

Biki 117 posts

I realise this has moved a bit from HH but don’t think it’s worth starting a new thread – just booked Grosvenor House for December via BA Holidays as half board is included at the moment. Works out about £280 pn which feels like decent value as I’m only Bonvoy gold so wouldn’t get free breakfast. I’ll pay for it using the bonus avios BAPP offer as well.

We were there in December and really enjoyed it. The half board deal really is a good deal, as you’d easily spend £100+ on a meal for 2 without drinks. The half board includes a set menu at most places (except for the buffet at Sloanes of course) or you can use the credit toward the main menu. we stuck with the set menu and enjoyed all of them! particularly liked Bushra & Toro Toro at GH, and Maya & Zengo at LRM.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

That sounds excellent value, let’s hope it’s still offered by the time we travel! I can’t find any specific details in the booking but might contact the hotel to confirm.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.