Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards E-upgrade offers on redemption bookings

• SRF. 43 posts

Been bit of talk about these on other topics/threads.

For Dubai Festival City IC, I’ve seen upgrade from basic room to a Signature Suite (100-120sqm) including lounge access for roughly £90pn for 8 nights. Thinking of going for it as will have a toddler and extra rooms and space are always useful, especially at nap time.

I assume if I email hotel and can lock something in, there is no come-back if I subsequently cancel my booking?

Also, as a Diamond Ambassador, does the above room become my standard that I will then get additional upgrade on? (Really wouldn’t need it, but that the thrill of the points game!)

aseftel 267 posts

I stayed there earlier this year with a toddler and a baby, so here are some tangential thoughts:

Unless things have changed recently, lounge access at IC DFC is incredibly valuable if you have children. Children aren’t allowed in the lounge for the evening happy hour (rest of the day is fine). Instead, you are given access to the very substantial buffet dinner at the Anise restaurant (including a drinks package). It is basically an upgrade to half-board.

I found the staff on the reservations email inbox (Reservation.DFC@ihg.com) weren’t particularly useful.

With a small child, as you say useful to have the extra space for them to run around or for them to sleep whilst you can hang out in another room. I paid cash for a basic suite (they have changed the categories since) and was upgraded (Spire Ambassador at the time) to their enormous top-tier suite. Got to be in it to win it… I asked to see the suite I actually booked whilst I was there, the suites are spacious, with great views of the creek and city. My son loved watching the boats, cars and trains go by.

If you’re staying in 2022, the F&B outlets (including the ones next door at the Crowne Plaza – you can cross-charge) are giving 30% off to Ambassadors.

The adjacent shopping mall has fairly spectacular light shows in the evening – you can walk over or watch from the hotel – and there is a playground out on the other side of the fountains. The mall is massive, directly connected to the hotel, and has everything you could need – don’t worry about packing nappies for example.

SRF. 43 posts

I stayed there earlier this year with a toddler and a baby, so here are some tangential thoughts:

Unless things have changed recently, lounge access at IC DFC is incredibly valuable if you have children. Children aren’t allowed in the lounge for the evening happy hour (rest of the day is fine). Instead, you are given access to the very substantial buffet dinner at the Anise restaurant (including a drinks package). It is basically an upgrade to half-board.

I found the staff on the reservations email inbox (Reservation.DFC@ihg.com) weren’t particularly useful.

With a small child, as you say useful to have the extra space for them to run around or for them to sleep whilst you can hang out in another room. I paid cash for a basic suite (they have changed the categories since) and was upgraded (Spire Ambassador at the time) to their enormous top-tier suite. Got to be in it to win it… I asked to see the suite I actually booked whilst I was there, the suites are spacious, with great views of the creek and city. My son loved watching the boats, cars and trains go by.

If you’re staying in 2022, the F&B outlets (including the ones next door at the Crowne Plaza – you can cross-charge) are giving 30% off to Ambassadors.

The adjacent shopping mall has fairly spectacular light shows in the evening – you can walk over or watch from the hotel – and there is a playground out on the other side of the fountains. The mall is massive, directly connected to the hotel, and has everything you could need – don’t worry about packing nappies for example.

Excellent. That seals it. I’ll email hotel.

I think it was your promotion of the ICFC that first brought the hotel to my attention as toddler friendly.

I am basically replicating your trip 🙂

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

I cancelled several bookings with agreed e-upgrades during the pandemic and there was never an issue. I think the cancellation system is automated and the actual hotel wouldn’t have much involvement unless it was really close to your stay.

ChrisC 956 posts

Just has the ‘welcome’ email for a reward night at the IC O2 (40k redemption) later this week

Link to custom upgrades via the ‘view more reservation details’ tab in the email

Being offered

£ 15 – High floor
    £ 50 = 10am early check in
    £ 80 – King bed Junior Suite – save £ 20
    £ 168 – 1 King 1 bed room suite – save £ 42

Think I’ll politly decline those and see what free upgrade they give me on arrival due to AMB status

SRF. 43 posts

Emailed ICFC but said couldn’t confirm the offer prior to arrival. Said would honour price for each night but dependant on suite availability on arrival day. My offer is £90pn but to upgrade prior to arrival is nearly £260pn (although current price difference is £350pn).

Stay isn’t for a while so will leave it for now, but will keep an eye on developments and then catch up with them a couple weeks before stay.

Aston100 1,383 posts

Understatement.
    I’d go so far as to call them clueless and borderline incompetent (denying that Diamonds are now entitled to complimentary breakfast (at any of the trio of IHG properties at this location), amongst other frustrating replies).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.