Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Eastern Oz beach towns

• Hbommie 194 posts

After a stop in Thailand over the New Year we’re moving on to Oz, into Perth staying a week..ish, then fly to Cairns for beach/GBR. Then fly to Brisbane (I’ve driven this a while ago) to stay with family before a road trip down the coast to Sydney. Looking for recommendations for the best towns to stop between Bris and Sydney for a few days at a time, or maybe one place for a week? Not looking for too backpackerish, a bit more classy? Something like Noosa.
    Thanks

John 1,000 posts

I’ve stayed in Kingscliff and around the Port Macquarie area. Don’t remember that much as it was 20 years ago but there was stuff to do inland as well not just beach every day.

Amy C 372 posts

Isn’t Noosa North of Brisbane? I’ve been twice and absolutely love Noosa. Mind you I also love the more backpackery Byron Bay/Ballina. Hervey Bay/Fraser Island is lovely too (North of Noosa) and I was quite partial to Coffs Harbour when I spent a night there in 2008.

Hbommie 194 posts

Isn’t Noosa North of Brisbane? I’ve been twice and absolutely love Noosa. Mind you I also love the more backpackery Byron Bay/Ballina. Hervey Bay/Fraser Island is lovely too (North of Noosa) and I was quite partial to Coffs Harbour when I spent a night there in 2008.

Yes sorry, we’ve been to Noosa back in the early 2000’s when we drove north of Brisbane, I wondered if there was somewhere between Brisbane and Sydney of a similar ilk. Nice beach, foodie scene, maybe a couple of nice hotels rather than Airbnb.

yorkieflyer 259 posts

A vote for Byron Bay from me

phantomchickenz 317 posts

Surfers Paradise is fantastic, but doesn’t exactly break up your trip much. Coffs Harbour is also nice, and about halfway. Plus you can sit on the beach and watch planes landing at the beachfront airport!

LD27 170 posts

Can recommend Waves Hotel at Byron Bay. Muffins, juice, tea and coffee served in reception area. Staff very friendly. One minute walk from the beach. Saw the blood moon from the beach last year. Was amazing. Also stayed at Coffs Harbour and Noosa. Recommend all three and preferred them to Surfers. But depends what you looking for.

Hbommie 194 posts

Thanks for the suggestions folks

LD27 170 posts

Sitting in lounge in Lisbon waiting for delayed flight back to Heathrow. So to add …
    I loved Cairns very laid back and spent a week there in December. Hilton at Harbour and Doubletree further along the Promenade. But I stayed at Holiday Inn (close to hospital) and further along promenade. Everyone very friendly, excellent pool snd great free breakfast as Diamond. You certainly won’t be going on beach in Cairns!
    Stayed in Port Douglas – more upmarket and good hotels.
    Visited Fitzroy Island and wish I’d stayed. Lizard Island worth a visit too. Also Cairns good starting point for Danetree and train journey to Karumba returning on cable car was brilliant.
    My favourite Island was Magnetic though. Reached from Townsville.
    I was at Ayrlie Beach during Schoolies Week! Wow! Worse than US spring break! But was governed by booked 3 day GBR sailing trip.
    Went to Fraser Island on one night trip from Rainbow Beach. Was good experience. As arrive at south end of Island, have much longer drive on beach and it sounded as though we had better experience than those who departed Hervey Bay. Arranged through tour operator on the day, had opportunity to take flight over Island taking off and landing on beach on 4 seater Cessna (?) for about £60. An amazing experience. Thought it better than flight to/from Barra.
    I spent 7 weeks travelling from Melbourne to Cairns and had a wonderful experience. You’ll have a great time.

Gagravarr 62 posts

You can technically drive from Brisbane to Sydney in one go. Lots of Australians do it. You really don’t want to… A week or so is much more civilised.

We took 7 days last time, and wished we’d taken a few more!

First day was Brisbane to Beaudesert, then the stunning (if slow) road up through the mounts, and finally Ballina. Lot more chill than Byron, but only a short drive so you can pop and see the madness. Not quite Noosa levels of posh, but pretty good.

Next was down to Woolgoolga Beach to see the kangaroos, then a wander in Coffs Harbour, then an apartment in Scotts Head. Stunning views but not much else there other than the caravan park. Had a really nice stop in South West Rocks on a previous trip (great diving!), so consider that instead. The Waterfall Way drive near here was worth the detour

After that was the Hunter Valley. Found a vineyard with a hotel and a restaurant, and another vineyard within walking distance, so we could properly enjoy the wine tastings without any risks.

Lots of other great places skipped through on the way!

Wanderlust 25 posts

Another vote for Byron Bay- I think we stayed in an Air bnb or an apart-hotel type thing there back in 2017.

Port Macquarie was good too, lots to do there it just rained when we went so that impacted our plans a bit! I seem to remember going on a boat trip there.

Although close to Sydney, I quite liked stopping in Newcastle and the Hunter Valley- we only did 1 night in each but could definitely have spent longer!

JD 18 posts

Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for Noosa? I may be dropping through there late August and am looking for somewhere for a couple of nights R+R.

Any advice much appreciated as always.

Gagravarr 62 posts

Noosa is pretty busy these days! If you want relaxation, you might be better off heading slightly further down the “sunny coast” (though probably no further than Alexandra Heads, probably Sunshine Beach / Peregian Beach / Coolum / Marcoola), or inland into the hinterland (eg Maleny or Mapleton)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.