Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• memesweeper 1,255 posts

I have a flight to Dubai booked. Cash, flexible, Premium Economy on Emirates.

F award availability has come up on the same date from STN, and looks like I can snag a return in J or F too. Trouble is, no miles. I can send over the required from Amex MR, however, there is a slim chance I may need to cancel/change. This presents me with a dilemma because Emirates miles expire after three years – I may end up with 150k of orphaned points.

I can’t see any Amex partner that offers the ability to book on Emirates.

Guess I’ll have to wait for the very last minute for booking and hope the seat remains available. Or am I missing a trick?

Carlos 758 posts

I thought F availability was only available 3 days before the flight?

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,095 posts

You can use Emirates miles to book hotels. But in reality you won’t find it hard to find J space

memesweeper 1,255 posts

I thought F availability was only available 3 days before the flight?

Nope — flight is within a month but not three days.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Answering my own question, Qantas is a partner of Amex MR and Emirates, and their miles don’t expire.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

Check taxes and mileage required first though …

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Thanks @Rob … it’s horribly complicated… I’ll plan properly tomorrow if I can. I’ve also noticed award availability on Emirates is more generous than offered to Qantas

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,095 posts

Emirates TFCs have exploded this year; as bad as BA now. Ex-EU is no saving either. Sad times. My Amex transfers to EK are over.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Emirates TFCs have exploded this year; as bad as BA now. Ex-EU is no saving either. Sad times. My Amex transfers to EK are over.

They are indeed horrible for an award booking. 24k for an upgrade from PE to J looks reasonable, however.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.