Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Favourite luggage (checked and carry-on)

• memesweeper 1,240 posts

If some bag’s dimensions are 55x37x23cm and LCC’s limits are 55x40x20cm: are you screwed or that’s still fine? I know some US carriers (Delta?) say dimensions must be either 55x40x20 or the sum must not exceed 115cm. Can’t find a similar statement on Ryanair or Vueling’s T&C’s.

Based on my experience, almost exclusively in Europe including LCCs:-

If it’s a hard case it needs to fit the sizer at the gate. No exceptions, but if the flight isn’t full they often don’t insist you measure it.

If it’s a soft bag you will not be asked if it fits, and if you were, you could just cram it in unless it was 100% full.

I’d never take an oversize hard case personally.

memesweeper 1,240 posts

I’ve enjoyed reading all of the responses and discussion around benefits of various bags. Thanks for the input everyone.

We re-examined our checked luggage and I don’t think they’re in as bad nick as I remembered. I think I just wanted something new and was pretending they need replaced when really I’m just being an obedient little consumer. I’m going to stick with those for now (Antler cases, and they’ve served us very well to be fair).

That said, we do legitimately need better hand luggage and I’m now considering the Away Carry On Aluminium edition. I think the extra rigidity sounds good, as does having clasps instead of a zip. If it doesn’t appeal I can always put their 100 day return policy to the test!

I sent back a bag at 99 days to swap for one of a different colour which wasn’t available when I purchased. No quibble, they even sent the new bag before receiving my return to ensure my travel wasn’t disrupted. That’s the kind of customer service that has me on a forum at the middle of the night promoting Away Travel. And the bag itself is bomb-proof.

Skip the battery though. You don’t need it.

dst87 263 posts

I sent back a bag at 99 days to swap for one of a different colour which wasn’t available when I purchased. No quibble, they even sent the new bag before receiving my return to ensure my travel wasn’t disrupted. That’s the kind of customer service that has me on a forum at the middle of the night promoting Away Travel. And the bag itself is bomb-proof.

Skip the battery though. You don’t need it.

Good to know, thanks! I’m tempted to get the one with the battery as I can imagine it being useful sometimes and although I’m astonished they haven’t updated the battery to be all USB-C, I figure I can upgrade in the future if they release an update (which surely must be round the corner…?)

Plus… the one without the battery is out of stock. 👀 I agree though that I’m most likely to have a small rucksack with me that I’d keep one of my existing batteries in anyway, but I don’t know that getting the case with the battery will be much of a downside.

AnotherUser 182 posts

Seen any good Prime Day luggage deals on Amazon? I’ve been struggling

marshy11 247 posts

The most important luggage requirement for me is that it packs properly – by that I mean the case isn’t split in half when open but in full with a lid on one side. Packing a suitcase that has two skinny halves doesn’t cut it for us. I prefer one big side to fill and the other to take nothing more than paperwork.

Our HBO are soft Samsonites -some years old and I can’t recall the range but they are still going strong and pack perfectly.

flohluggage 1 post

We have a practical and versatile backpack and suitcase combo for the modern traveler. Stylishly carry your essentials with ease and switch effortlessly between backpack and suitcase scooter modes. Designed for convenience, comfort, and functionality. The perfect companions for your journeys.

omicron 50 posts

I’m also a fan of the Samsonite S’Cure – I have it in both the carry-on and large size. They have clasps instead of zippers, can take a beating, spare parts are easily available if anything should break, and they are fairly cheap compared to many other Samsonites.

captaindave 113 posts

We have been using “SubZero” carry ons for a good few years now. They weigh about 0.8 kg – cant remember the exact size as they are in loft at minute, but they have been fine for TUI, Ryanair, EasyJet etc.

They are soft, and dont look that robust, but they are pretty unblemished after several flights.
    Enough space for a week away. Only snag ( if it is one ) have just 2 wheels.

SBIre 159 posts

Definitely avoid Away and especially avoid Samsonite – they might be ok for someone that makes two or three trips a year and likes to emulate their favorite influencer, but they cannot stand any real use. I’ve had Samsonite spinner, two wheeler and suit carriers all fall apart. Go for Briggs & Riley, they have a lifetime warranty for a reason and the customer service is great. For example,I had a wheel damaged by an airline, and customer service sent new ones to my apartment for free and they were simple to replace with the supplied Allen key- beats sending the case away. I have three B&R bags, they are between 12 and 14 years old, are in great conditions and have been used for train and plane travel every week to all sorts of place in all sorts of conditions for about 7 of those years. If you plan on any serious travel, go for two wheels and soft sides

George K 288 posts

Definitely avoid Away and especially avoid Samsonite […] Go for Briggs & Riley, they have a lifetime warranty for a reason and the customer service is great.

But Away has a lifetime warranty too… (and a generous try-before-you-buy scheme!)

u07ch 63 posts

Definitely avoid Away and especially avoid Samsonite – they might be ok for someone that makes two or three trips a year and likes to emulate their favorite influencer, but they cannot stand any real use. I’ve had Samsonite spinner, two wheeler and suit carriers all fall apart. Go for Briggs & Riley, they have a lifetime warranty for a reason and the customer service is great. For example,I had a wheel damaged by an airline, and customer service sent new ones to my apartment for free and they were simple to replace with the supplied Allen key- beats sending the case away. I have three B&R bags, they are between 12 and 14 years old, are in great conditions and have been used for train and plane travel every week to all sorts of place in all sorts of conditions for about 7 of those years. If you plan on any serious travel, go for two wheels and soft sides

I have been using Rimowa for a million or so KM flown; can B&R they compete with Rimowa’s hotel/ store worldwide network for walking in and getting an instant repair?

Super Secret Stuff 365 posts

For carry on, cabin max with compression cubes, bye bye easyJet or Ryanair carry on fees

memesweeper 1,240 posts

Definitely avoid Away and especially avoid Samsonite […] Go for Briggs & Riley, they have a lifetime warranty for a reason and the customer service is great.

But Away has a lifetime warranty too… (and a generous try-before-you-buy scheme!)

I used my Away case weekly for years. The metal one is bloody indestructible. I have knackered a zip on one of their backpacks though.

qc 197 posts

We have Samsonite S’Cure checkin luggage – they’re 7 years old and have done over 400,000 miles! Still going well.

We bought them after a trip to Sth America when our zipped luggage got left on the luggage in a downpour at EZE – everything inside was soaked. We were staying at the IC and when we told them in the lounge what happened the provided free laundering of all our wet clothes.

My sister has a fantastic set of luggage from a new Australian luggage company https://july.com/uk/ – they’re selling in the UK now

redlilly 110 posts

Totally concur with this… Briggs and Riley Baseline collection all the way. We have 3 bags in this collection, 2 are carry ons, and they are fantastic. Always 2 wheels too. They have been damaged a few times by airlines and have stood the test of time with the guarantee and repairs.

For LCCs, we tend to use duffle bags (OH has the Osprey 55 litre and I have the North Face c55 litre). The good thing about duffle bags is that they’re soft sided and you can wear them on your back when you’re at that point when the cabin crew are trying to suss out who needs to measure their bags and who needs to put them in the hold. Tens and tens of flights flown like this, and never been hauled aside. We’re also bringing them on safari later this year for our honeymoon, where light aircraft have strict baggage restrictions (size, need to be soft sided and weight (less than 15kg)).

SBIre 159 posts

No, they offer a lifetime LIMITED warranty – though that is admittedly better than some. My main issue with Away is more the company – I’ve heard it’s pretty toxic, I’ve also heard the wheels on the cases aren’t great – but can’t say for certain if either are true. I’ll be sticking to B&R

SBIre 159 posts

I have been using Rimowa for a million or so KM flown; can B&R they compete with Rimowa’s hotel/ store worldwide network for walking in and getting an instant repair?

Yes they can, because Rimowa’s new bags come with the new less good warranty that excludes key things like airline damage, and the older better warranty only lasts for five years. The hotel repairs are a nice touch, but no use if you don’t qualify.

My better half has two Rimowa cases, and they are very sexy. On a smooth airport floor I’m always stunned at how smoothly they glide. I would not want to use one of them every week on a cobbled northern European street in winter when it is lightly packed with my heavy laptop bag resting on top though – it (like all spinners) won’t be stable enough.

memesweeper 1,240 posts

If you find yourself in the States Arlo Skye do a range of extremely good non-zipper bags. Some are metal framed but with polycarbonate sides, not a combination offered by Away sadly. Otherwise the range is similar to Away, maybe marginally better quality for slightly less money. Unfortunately no UK/EU stockists AFAIK.

Grant 106 posts

Bumping this to ask for recommendations for under seat sized bags which will comply with Easyjet, Ryainair limits (45 x 36 x 20 cm). I see SSS recommended Cabn Max above, (any particular model, SSS?) but are there any other recommendations? Keen on something which has fully zippable front flap which would open up like, and therefore pack similar to, a case, as opposed to to a top opening traditional backpack style.

Thanks

Richie 966 posts

Bumping this to ask for recommendations for under seat sized bags which will comply with Easyjet, Ryainair limits (45 x 36 x 20 cm). I see SSS recommended Cabn Max above, (any particular model, SSS?) but are there any other recommendations? Keen on something which has fully zippable front flap which would open up like, and therefore pack similar to, a case, as opposed to to a top opening traditional backpack style.

Thanks

Some cheap Karrimor possibilities on Sports Direct dot com.

masaccio 715 posts

Thanks

Some cheap Karrimor possibilities on Sports Direct dot com.

Speaking of which, since I have the displeasure of a RyanAir flight soon – how rigorous are they on the 20cm? Is it still OK if it fits in the metal frame? I have a spinner that is slightly under 20cm to the rigid shoulders so should slide into a 20cm deep box, but I could see how it might bulge a bit. Other dimensions fine.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.