Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Finding Lufthansa / Miles & More availability in F – Or alternatives

• Go197 78 posts

1) How do you find Miles & More award flight availability? The M&M search function is slow and frustrating and reveals little. Is there another place to search?

2) Given the small number of Lufthansa F flights currently operating, what other Star Alliance options would you recommend to someone looking to enjoy the best first or business class travel experience?

I have enough M&M miles for any Lufthansa return in F and they will expire soon. I have been hunting for F award availability and it’s hard to find. Up to January 2023 I see a handful of F awards on 747 from FRA:

– 5 dates to JNB
    – 8 to MEX
    – 12 to GRU
    – 2 to PVG
    – 1 to SFO

That’s just for the outbound. Trying to pair those up with a return is very hard. There are more dates for DEL but it’s the shortest flight and low preference. Many former F routes are not operating. Some routes reportedly on the summer timetable show no F award availability.

I’ve previously flown ZRH-FRA-PVG with the Shanghai leg on the 747, the F terminals at ZRH and FRA, rubber duckies, two transfers in Porsches and one in a BMW, steaks, caviar and champagne galore. A brilliant experience.

I would like to use my miles for another top travel experience, for its own sake, because I enjoy it. It’s the reason I bother with miles in the first place. I travel solo. I can go anywhere, anytime, for any duration. I am trying to visit every country and territory in the world – been to 110 from my list of 236 – and I will build an onward trip out of any destination.

Given open-ended freedom, what are the best Star Alliance experiences, if any, to match Lufthansa’s Porsche driving, caviar chomping, Krug swilling, rubber-duck bathing fun that can be obtained with M&M miles?

Thanks for any suggestions, or any tips on finding F award space on LH.

SamG 1,639 posts

“Live and lets fly” blogger Matthew is a frequent F user and his advice seems to be it opens up like clockwork close in. Considering you only need one seat if you could be flexible around dates then an expertflyer subscription could be handy to keep an eye on what flights are empty and then book nearer the time once it opens up

Go197 78 posts

… it opens up like clockwork close in …

I thought that was only for partner awards, which become available 15 days prior. Does availability with M&M miles also expand at short range?

SamG 1,639 posts

… it opens up like clockwork close in …

I thought that was only for partner awards, which become available 15 days prior. Does availability with M&M miles also expand at short range?

I believe so! maybe observe a few flights for the upcoming days and see if you can spot any trends

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.