Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Finding out my Amex number

• points_worrier 294 posts

I have a BAPP Amex, but have unfortunately left it at home whilst travelling, and was wanting to use it to book a flight for benefits, and 2-4-1. I can log in to my amex account, it is on apple pay, I have the last 5 digits, the CVV, and the expiry. Is there any way to find out the full number to use it? I have tried:
    – Asking amex!
    – Checking statements (it is starred out)
    – Setting up a direct debit (the number is usually the reference, but hasnt appeared on my current account yet)
    – Checking other sites I have used it on (Amazon, etc,) to see if it is fully numbered there

Anyone brainy here know of a quick way of finding it out?

davefl 1,217 posts

Amex app shows the full card number

dst87 263 posts

I know it doesn’t help you now, but I keep all of my credit cards in my password manager. That way card information for all of my cards is available anywhere I go, along with logins etc.

I’ve used 1Password for over a decade now and love it (I also now work for them, full disclosure) but any similar system will allow you to store and access credit card information as well as logins and other sensitive information.

One thing that may help… have you ever asked any of your web browsers to save card information before? Some are quite keen to remember them for you, and you may be able to access the full card information that way.

points_worrier 294 posts

Where? No it doesn’t from what I can see

ChrisBCN 233 posts

Is it saved in Google auto complete?

davefl 1,217 posts

Where? No it doesn’t from what I can see

Sorry, no. I was being dumb. It’s too hot 🙂

Comrade Chag 79 posts

A supplementary card matches the main except the last 5 digits.

Scottpat78 244 posts

2 options I have thought of:

If you have ever paid your Amex bill via your bank / DD then the reference number for the DD is your card number. (Just re-read your original post and it seems you don’t have a DD setup yet).

If you have it saved in Apple eco-system, go to your phone / settings / safari / autofill / saved credit cards. Select the card you need and it should take you to a screen with all details on it.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    points_worrier 294 posts

– No Supplementary cards
    – Haven’t saved it in safari
    – When I’ve paid bills, I have done it using the app payment system which transfers me to my bank’s app to make a transfer, but doesn’t leave an imprint of the card number (I’ve checked).

Waiting for the direct debit to set up – any idea how long this usually takes?

dougzz99 623 posts

@dst87 I don’t work for 1Password but definitely endorse what you say. Really happy with it.

AJA 1,060 posts

I’m pretty sure the first 2 digits of all BAPP cards are 37. You then only need to remember the next 8 digits as you’ve got the last 5.

I had a look at my downloaded statements but the first 10 digits are blanked out. I’m sad as I can quote my card number off by heart. But I can’t remember the 4 digit security number so I’d be screwed without my card.

Do you have an Amazon account with it stored? I think it has the full number but could be wrong on that

points_worrier 294 posts

Do you have an Amazon account with it stored? I think it has the full number but could be wrong on that

I do, but cant see a way of seeing the whole number.

aq.1988 456 posts

Like AJA, I’m also quite sad and that after a couple uses of my cards, I end up memorising the number, although it does get saved in Google autofill in any case.

I’m surprised Amex aren’t able to provide the full card number if you passed security with them.

One thing that could be possible, short of someone physically going to your house and looking in your wallet and providing you the card number, is you could add a supplementary card for someone you know and trust, and once it arrives at their house, you can use those card details (as the spend will still go towards your totals). Just note that any spend on that card by the supplementary cardholder is still your responsibility, although I’m sure you know that.

I’ve only ever ordered a supplementary card for my wife, so it comes to the same address and usually arrives within 2-3 days, not sure how long it will take to go to another address or how urgently you need to use your card. Like another poster said, only the last 5 digits would be different so once you have the supplementary card, you will also know your own cards details too.

dst87 263 posts

I remember reading that Amex will promptly sent a replacement card anywhere in the world if necessary – is it worth asking them? I don’t know how fast that is, or if there’s a cost involved, but it might be a solution if you’re desperate to use the card before you get home. Perhaps someone else here has used this service before and can share their experience.

StanTheMan 216 posts

I have a BAPP Amex, but have unfortunately left it at home whilst travelling, and was wanting to use it to book a flight for benefits, and 2-4-1. I can log in to my amex account, it is on apple pay, I have the last 5 digits, the CVV, and the expiry. Is there any way to find out the full number to use it? I have tried:
    – Asking amex!
    – Checking statements (it is starred out)
    – Setting up a direct debit (the number is usually the reference, but hasnt appeared on my current account yet)
    – Checking other sites I have used it on (Amazon, etc,) to see if it is fully numbered there

Anyone brainy here know of a quick way of finding it out?

My BAPP is saved as a default card on BA, just need to remember the 4 magic digits on the front…. check if yours is too

points_worrier 294 posts

I remember reading that Amex will promptly sent a replacement card anywhere in the world if necessary – is it worth asking them? I don’t know how fast that is, or if there’s a cost involved, but it might be a solution if you’re desperate to use the card before you get home. Perhaps someone else here has used this service before and can share their experience.

Apparently they do not send cards to basically anywhere in Africa. Very frustrating. I am really going off Amex. All my other cards have details viewable online.

Luca M 391 posts

The first 6 digits combination should be one from this selection:
    https://www.freebinchecker.com/british-airways-AMEX-issuer-bin-list-scheme/amp

points_worrier 294 posts

SUCCESS.

For future reference:
    First 10 digits: Setting up direct debit to pay the bill – the first 10 digits are the reference of the DD. This was set up within 24 hours You can check on online banking
    Final 5 digits: From the Amex App
    Expiry Date: From amazon account
    4 digit CVV: from a photo of the front of the card I took to store the card details to avoid all this. Without realising all the details were on the back. D’oh.

Thanks all.

The first 6 digits combination should be one from this selection:
    https://www.freebinchecker.com/british-airways-AMEX-issuer-bin-list-scheme/amp

My first six digits are not anything like the numbers here. Third digit onwards is different.

Luca M 391 posts

Are the new cards like the metal platinum with the cards number at the back? Was not aware.

My own Bin number (first 6 digits) is indeed covered and I have had the same 6 digits bin number since my very first card in 2002.

I read an article on a blog/forum once about Amex bin number make up, so it should be fairly consistent With the currency and card type being part of that firs 6 digits

John 1,000 posts

BA Amex should start with 3717. The next 7 digits are your Amex account number, then 2 digits starting with 00 for every card issued on that account and finally a check digit.

points_worrier 294 posts

BA Amex should start with 3717. The next 7 digits are your Amex account number, then 2 digits starting with 00 for every card issued on that account and finally a check digit.

Nope. Mine is 3773. I have had several in the past, and they did all match with the list @Luca M provided (37919).

AJA 1,060 posts

Am glad you got it sorted. I just hope you manage to book your flights There were reports on FT today that BA was having problems accepting any card payments today!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.