Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Flight cancelled BCN-LHR Monday pm

• pbcold 346 posts

Just had my return from BCN cancelled on Monday night (going out Sunday morning); the only option offered is to fly back on Tuesday which I cannot do. What are my options please? Flight out is economy cash, return is Avios in club. Thank you.

NorthernLass 7,473 posts

Have a look a couple of topics down re the Queen’s funeral, I think a lot of people are going to be in the same situation.

Colin MacKinnon 286 posts

If you can’t do the Tuesday, then it will be cancel the trip.

You can’t drive back, or get the train, since you’ll have to leave Barcelona as soon as you arrive!

Possible option – Vueling to Birmingham arriving c 1pm or Ryanair arriving at just after 8pm. At least your train journey back to London will be in the opposite direction to the crowds. Not cheap, though.

Skyscanner is your friend. Jet2 have Reus to Bristol cheap on Monday morning or Easyjet late evening.

pbcold 346 posts

Thank you – if I stay until Tuesday will all EU compensation apply?

Lady London 2,030 posts

Take a low-cost back to any London airport if you must return on Monday. Heathrow is the problem, I guess due to ViP traffic on that afternoon and early evening. You could see if IB has also cancelled flights to LHR too, or not, and ask to be rerouted on them.

If you want to stay in Club on the return you might find KL/AF via Paris or Amsterdam or LH via FRA or MUC etc., still landing very late evening after what will be a long jourrney. BA won’t ticket that – you’d have to go through the motions of you saying to BA you still need to travel same day to reach London by evening and ask them to reroute you on any other airline (have flight examples ready) if BA has no flight of their own.

They will refuse, illegally, to provide a flight on any other airline so you’d end up mcoling them for replacement flight costs. Unless your insurance would cover or unless you paid by UK credit card and could claim off card under s.75.

If you get stuck there Monday night then whatever the reason for cancellation then your hotel, meals and transport to and from the hotel are required to be either provided or reimbursed by BA and going with the flow on this and asking them about this may be best (or all you can do) anyway.

AJA 1,062 posts

No I don’t believe you will get compensation but duty of care should be paid by BA. BA will claim this is extraordinary circumstances imposed upon them by LHR because of the state funeral.

Lady London 2,030 posts

Thank you – if I stay until Tuesday will all EU compensation apply?

no compo as AJA says but all the duty of care entitlements I mention above apply regardless of the reason your flight was cancelled

pbcold 346 posts

This is all so very helpful, thank you.

SamG 1,639 posts

BA will ticket Lufthansa or Swiss options if any available (suspect they’ll have their own cancellations though)

Birmingham is not a bad shout depending on your final destination but personally I’d try fix my Tuesday plans and have another night there courtesy of BA 🙂

pbcold 346 posts

BA will ticket Lufthansa or Swiss options if any available (suspect they’ll have their own cancellations though)

Birmingham is not a bad shout depending on your final destination but personally I’d try fix my Tuesday plans and have another night there courtesy of BA 🙂

Thank you Sam, that`s precisely what I have done! When claiming for duty of care reimbursement, do I fill out the compensation for on the BA website as usual or is there a different process?

Many thanks.

AJA 1,062 posts

Fill in the form on the usual ba.com/complaints page.

pbcold 346 posts

Many thanks for the response AJA

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.