Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help Flight delayed overnight due to damaged runway at destination airport

• gary21 4 posts

BA flight from LHR to Aberdeen held for 3 hours at LHR from 2030 until 2330 hrs due to a hole appearing in the runway at Aberdeen airport, before everyone was de boarded and sent to hotels locally overnight for a rescheduled flight at 1000hrs next day.

One refreshment voucher for £10 issued.

BA “Customer Experience Team” who boarded to manage the situation specifically stated in announcements the flight was not cancelled but “overnight delayed”. Cabin crew were talking to passengers saying they’d never experienced that before.

I’m assuming no compensation is payable as it’s not the airline’s fault for the delay but I can’t see specific mention of that I’m the regs, only relating to cancellations.

The next week, on the return flight, delayed for 3 hours from Aberdeen to LHR as baggage handlers damaged the side of the aircraft and after 3 hours sitting on the plane, BA cancelled the flight. de boarded us all again and sent us to hotels locally…

Any thoughts?

JDB 4,335 posts

‘Overnight delayed’ is not so uncommon – basically the same aircraft, pax and crew travel the next day as opposed to a cancellation where lots of different travel plans might be made. The cancellation or long delay compensation but the latter is not in EC261 but in a subsequent document decision that many consider to be judicial overreach (ie effectively legislating rather than interpreting) by the ECJ.

JDB 4,335 posts

For the return, damage to the aircraft by the handlers does not usually constitute ‘extraordinary circumstances’.

Matt 320 posts

A closed runway is definitely not going to get you compensation, as there won’t be other flights landing either than BA could put you on – reasonable efforts wouldn’t be successful. Damage to the plane by BA contractors is definitely grounds for compensation though.

gary21 4 posts

Thanks all, that’s really helpful. I’ll see how it goes and update you 😊👍

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.