Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Flying to Scotland with kids – ID needed?

• StanTheMan 217 posts

What, if any, ID will we need on BA ?? Kids only have Passports as photo ID.

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

A few years ago we took son and nephew on Flybe to Scotland – the Ts and Cs were that under 16s didn’t need their own ID but I don’t know if this is the same with BA. It will be in their conditions though.

Nadeshka 14 posts

None – we have flown LHR to Scotland before ours had passports so they had no photo ID. Took birth certificates just in case but it’s never been asked for, just showed the adults (Drivers licence/passport).

Flew just this March so doubt it has changed!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Jacob 223 posts

As per BA website:

If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need a passport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. This may be requested at certain points in your journey. Children under the age of 16 years do not require identification to travel within the UK.

Last time I flew LHR-INV wasn’t asked for my ID at all (only scanned my boarding pass).

StanTheMan 217 posts

Many thanks everyone

Andrew. 482 posts

I’ve never needed to show ID on a domestic BA flight. It’s incredibly useful as a mate sometimes asks me to do a tier point run for him.

*But*

Be mindful that airport staff are sometimes asked to be on the lookout for children who are at risk or in danger. So it is wise to carry something that identifies you and identifies them.

John 1,000 posts

ID is only needed on BA domestic to check a bag. In theory non photo ID is accepted but BA staff don’t always know their own policy and easier to not argue

Police can ask for identification at airports and easier to have ID than to try and prove your identity another way (especially when you often get racially profiled like I do)

StanTheMan 217 posts

I’ve never needed to show ID on a domestic BA flight. It’s incredibly useful as a mate sometimes asks me to do a tier point run for him.

*But*

Be mindful that airport staff are sometimes asked to be on the lookout for children who are at risk or in danger. So it is wise to carry something that identifies you and identifies them.

this was my thought – seems odd they DONT insist on ID for kids. I think the 8,000 photos on my phone might be enough evidence though

Michael C 667 posts

Easyjet require photo ID for adults on UK domestic flights (but not for kids).

Grant 108 posts

Easyjet require photo ID for adults on UK domestic flights (but not for kids).

In theory they do, but in practice I have now flown four times BHX to GLA with my two children and our ID was not checked even although we also had checked luggage.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.